Necromancy and Soar

By Jonny WS, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

In the advanced campaign, a hero can have the Necromancy skill and during outdoor encounters the hero could take control of a razorwing or a shade. The question is, if a soaring monster attacks another soaring monster do you still add +4 to the range or should you ignore that aspect entirely?

the rules specifically state that heroes cannot gain soar. I'd probably extend that reasoning to mean that a monster controlled by the heroes cannot gain or use soar either.

Jonny WS said:

In the advanced campaign, a hero can have the Necromancy skill and during outdoor encounters the hero could take control of a razorwing or a shade. The question is, if a soaring monster attacks another soaring monster do you still add +4 to the range or should you ignore that aspect entirely?

There is no reason why you would ignore the +4 (and no reason why the hero restriction should pass on to a necromancied monster - it is not a hero).

Note that razorwings only have a melee attack so cannot attack another soaring monster.

Note also that Soar increases the range to and from the monster, so a soaring shade shooting at another soarer will add +8 to the required range (+4 from the shade and +4 to the soaring target), though by swooping it can at least negate it's own +4 penalty.

Grubsnik said:

the rules specifically state that heroes cannot gain soar. I'd probably extend that reasoning to mean that a monster controlled by the heroes cannot gain or use soar either.

There are lots of other questions that have been raised about how a necro'd monster behaves (does he generate LoS to prevent spawning or to reveal new areas, etc) The general consensus in the past has been that although a necro'd monster becomes a friendly figure , it does not become a "hero." It is still a "monster," it's just one that isn't your enemy any longer. Much the same way that a hero making an attack under Dark Charm is considered an enemy to other heroes during that attack, but he remains a hero instead of a monster.

The rules for Soar say that "heroes" cannot gain the Soar ability. A necro'd monster is not a hero, so this rule doesn't apply. Likewise, a necro'd monster does not generate LoS to prevent spawning (not a hero ), he cannot open doors to unrevealed areas (still a monster ) and so on.

I do like the idea of adding +8 to the range for shades, that I can somewhat see makes sense.

No matter the case, soar is messy.

Jonny WS said:

I do like the idea of adding +8 to the range for shades, that I can somewhat see makes sense.

No matter the case, soar is messy.

What is messy?

It has a few simple rules, just apply them.

This ability is only used during outdoor encounters. Any figure with Soar is considered to be flying above the ground, and the range both to and from it is increased by four spaces. A soaring monster cannot normally be the target of a melee attack. However, monsters with Soar can choose to swoop down before attacking. If they do so, the extra range is negated until after the attack goes off, at which point the monster flies back up. Heroes may use interrupt attacks (even melee attacks, if in range) to attack a monster while it is swooping. Note that all monsters with the Flying ability also automatically have the Soar ability.

1. It is only used in outdoor encounters.
2. the range both to and from it is increased by four spaces
3. a soaring monster cannot normally be the target of a melee attack
4. you can 'swoop' immediately before an attack (ceasing the swoop immediately after the attack) and temporarily count as not soaring
and from the FAQ
5. soarers are not adjacent to any figure (which covers 3 above, no grapple, no aura etc)
6. a soaring figure 'ignores' terrain
7. a soarer can 'land' and 'turn off' soar until the start of their next turn
8. blast and breath ignore soar - this is just a clarification and not a special rule since they hit everything in certain spaces and the soarer is still in its space
9. soarers do block LOS and movement - again, just a clarification as there is nothing to say they don;t block just like any other monster
10. The web clarification - again, just follow the normal rules exactly

this boils down to a few simple rules.

1. +4 range to and from
2. not adjacent to anyone
3. can be temporarily disabled in two ways (swoop and land)
4. ignores terrain (the only difference from fly being they can end their move over water/rubble and they don't benefit from tree-shadowcloak)

Are you sure about the +4 range to and from? Seems to me that being +4 range from a creature from their POV is the same thing as being +4 range to attack them. The ranges would overlap rather than double.

The soar text is only speaking about a singular creature with Soar. When looking at 2 creatures with Soar they are at:

A x x x x B

and they are both +4 range to and from one another are they not?

dragon76 said:

Are you sure about the +4 range to and from? Seems to me that being +4 range from a creature from their POV is the same thing as being +4 range to attack them. The ranges would overlap rather than double.

The soar text is only speaking about a singular creature with Soar. When looking at 2 creatures with Soar they are at:

A x x x x B

and they are both +4 range to and from one another are they not?

Soar the range both to and from it is increased by four spaces

Underline doesn't work... large text for emphasis.

The range is only counted when one makes an attack. The receiver's point of view doesn't matter. So your soaring creature refers to the soar rule, and adds +4 to it's range attacking FROM soaring. It is also attacking a soaring creature to it refers to the Soar rules a second time and adds a +4 for attacking TO a soaring creature.