Barry's knife

By RedMageStatscowski, in Tannhauser

My brother and I have always wondered when Barry's knife is ever used since his gun is much stronger. Same goes for Wolf (although one of his challenges give the knife SOME use) and probably some others.

When you have a character with a really good gun and a krappy little four die knife, the knife is good for a couple things:

One, you can make a free melee attack after someone fails to bullrush you.

Two, a backup, if Yula destroys that fancy gun, your gonn'a need it.

There may be some other good uses, but those are the best.

Point two will most likely not apply for me since I probably not have Yula for a while for reasons unknown (why isn't she being reprinted yet?)

Point one will most likely not apply for me either since my brother usually prefers to have his troops kill on sight rather than push through.

Guess I won't use gun+knife setups for a while. Good points though, I'll consider it if Yula ever becomes available again.

Knuckles Eki said:

Guess I won't use gun+knife setups for a while. Good points though, I'll consider it if Yula ever becomes available again.

On german amazon there are still some yula pack's available. If you got the Revised Rules, there should be no problem with the german text

PsychoWolf said:

Knuckles Eki said:

On german amazon there are still some yula pack's available. If you got the Revised Rules, there should be no problem with the german text

I don't really want to know the shipping to Australia, I'll take my chances by waiting and getting the other minis first.

In Barrys case he can also set himself on overwatch if he is engaged in melee and use his knife then, because he can't use his big gun for overwatch attacks.

Knives are also used for pack balance. I believe Barry's combat pack has his heavy gun, the gun's modifier, knife, and a grenade? Anyway, the knife is crappy, yes- but it balances out the rest of his superpowered equipment.

Giving Barry a morphine shot or extra ammunition just wouldn't be that balanced now would it?

Another use for the knife is that Barry may roll 4 dice while making melee attacks through doors. And yet another "use" is that you can exchange it for a bonus token or a cool equipment token you found in a crate.

By the way, I think Barry's stamina pack is much better than the combat pack.

It used to be more useful when there was a minimum range rule on guns.

vengeance000 said:

It used to be more useful when there was a minimum range rule on guns.

I can't but agree. Barry's Knive was vital in Classic Edition when you need three free Circles to shoot AND had an heavy penalty when being attacked in melee and not equiped with a HtH Weapon...