What scale is Dust Tactics? 1/48 is equal to what??

By player359820, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

While I agree basing can make a difference (especially as the smaller you get the bigger difference it makes proportionally, and it certainly didn't help with Mongoose Publishing's attempt at a modern warfare game, especially as the vehicles were already at a slightly smaller scale than the figures), I have actually compared the models with scale models of 1/72 scale. They tower over them… well, that may be an exaggeration. but they are far too big (while being too small to fit comfortably alongside 28mm models). Physical measuring of these models put them at being slightly too tall even if measuring to the eye, but they were much closer than other models tend to be (25mm from the bottom of the foot was probably about the bottom of the nose). Measuring 1/72 plastic soldiers (which are much more correctly proportioned, and visually fit perfectly with the 1/72 model kits) got measurement to the eyes of 20mm, but to the top of the head just about 24mm. So, if measured to the eyes, 1/72 seems to be 20mm, but if measured to the top of the head it does seem to be 25mm (or close enough to put them well within the margin of error).

Having discussed this I decided to investigate a bit online about figure scaling. Mostly similar things to what has been said ("Scales" are vary variable, different conventions of measurement, eye/top of head etc), but I think the thing that best sums it up is an entry on wikipedia's article on the subject. On a table of various miniaturing gaming scales it has an entry for "35mm". The description given for this scale: "Genuine 30mm".

borithan said:

Having discussed this I decided to investigate a bit online about figure scaling. Mostly similar things to what has been said ("Scales" are vary variable, different conventions of measurement, eye/top of head etc), but I think the thing that best sums it up is an entry on wikipedia's article on the subject. On a table of various miniaturing gaming scales it has an entry for "35mm". The description given for this scale: "Genuine 30mm".

That made me laugh!

Of course, there's another company that uses the term, 'True 28mm,' and then describes it as 28mm to the eyes. I can't see how that is any more true, or 30mm is any more genuine for 35mm.

I understood when they started making miniatures larger, as the idea of wanting more room so detail was easier to deal with made sense from a modeling perspective.

I hated what it did for scales, as they are becoming meaningless when people insist they are using a scale that they are clearly not using.

I find myself buying small quantities of any miniature line I do not know for comparison to what I have before I invest any more, simply because they may, or may not, look appropriate. I don't mind varying heights, as I think it looks more realistic, but the models have to look right together.

Just adding in my own questions since this is the best topic for it. Planning on running some Reaper minis along with my DT i'm getting. Doing a roleplaying version and wanted to have more unique characters to blend with the soldiers. I know the sizes are off, but they appear pretty close. Several people have said that the DT ones are a bit bulkier. Is that pretty much the case? As long as the size difference isn't enormous i'm fine with just tweaking it a little and letting it go. Thanks for all the help. Brand new to DT but love the models and can't wait to try them out

Major Mishap said:

I've had a look at the WF stuff but the proportions look to heroic to fit in with DT, they have super-large heads and hands etc. Would like to see a side by side comparisson photo though.

wish granted

SANY000112.jpg

I bought my first dust fig just to fit in with the WF shocktroopers I was painting. Then I read the rules and the rest is history, or alternate history.