Corrution Points

By moepp, in Black Crusade

Hello everyone.

I´m about to DM a Black Crusade group and I´m a little lost in regards to corruption points and how distribute them appropriately. While Infamy and Experience pretty well lined out, I´m kinda missing a general guideline for CP´s.

So players start with 0 CP´s and 19 + 1d5 Infamy (not considering Pride, Faillings, Motivation). Their goal aside from a decente RPG experience (I assume) is to reach the required Infamy befor they reach 100 corruption. With a headstart of roughly 20 Infamy over corruption the PC´s have, how do I go from there?

Do I reward the Players with roughly the same amount of corruption as reward them with infamy? So if they do well, their Infamy to Corruption ratio stays about the same or improves slightly. While punishment will bestow more Corruption on them, worsening the ratio or even tipping the balance towards a lead in Corruption.

Am I on the right track here? How do you guys go about this?

Sounds like you arent too far off, remember this though:

Corruption points are decidedly random and they should be, one guy could conceivably get 2-3 times as much corruption as his buddies if the dice are with(against ?) him.

Infamy can be lost, if you die (not a stretch in 40K) it costs ALOT of infamy to get out of that for free so I can definately see someone getting more corruption points than infamy.

I'd personally just go by the book as to how to arrange Corruption points; they're not really a reward or a punishment, but a mix of both. You should give people who want more corruption a really easy time "farming" it if they want to while others might not want to risk losing their character and try to minimize it.

How to farm Corruption points in let's say, Broken Chains?

I told a friend "the most lulzy and retarded way to fall to chaos is...

First, use Blasphemy Made Flesh (enemy must roll WP, at -PRx5%, or lose all actions if they try to attack you) and Host of Fiends (enemies in a 50 meter radius take a -PRx2% to WP rolls, and if they fail a willpower roll, they suffer 1d5 corruption per degree of failure)... this adds up to, say, a -70% or so penalty to the WP test, making it impossible for most NPCs.

Your average (30 willpower) character will take 9d5 points of corruption every time they try to attack you, sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average that means if they try to attack you four times in a row they will hit 100 corruption and fall to Chaos."

But since, afaik, you can't pick your own powers in Broken Chains (and unless you want a LOLRANDUMB looking Eyestalked McFatty horrible mutant char, you don't want corruption through failure), the easiest is simply chaos rituals, each time you do a ritual to summon a bloodletter, horror, or daemonette, you get 1d5 corruption.

Deinos said:

I told a friend "the most lulzy and retarded way to fall to chaos is...

First, use Blasphemy Made Flesh (enemy must roll WP, at -PRx5%, or lose all actions if they try to attack you) and Host of Fiends (enemies in a 50 meter radius take a -PRx2% to WP rolls, and if they fail a willpower roll, they suffer 1d5 corruption per degree of failure)... this adds up to, say, a -70% or so penalty to the WP test, making it impossible for most NPCs.

Your average (30 willpower) character will take 9d5 points of corruption every time they try to attack you, sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average that means if they try to attack you four times in a row they will hit 100 corruption and fall to Chaos."

But since, afaik, you can't pick your own powers in Broken Chains (and unless you want a LOLRANDUMB looking Eyestalked McFatty horrible mutant char, you don't want corruption through failure), the easiest is simply chaos rituals, each time you do a ritual to summon a bloodletter, horror, or daemonette, you get 1d5 corruption.

Well you cant exactly CHOOSE your gifts even if its not through failure, you just have a slight influence.

Even a bog-standard, starting 20 infamy, chaos undivided char is pretty much going to be able to avoid any horrific mutations that don't arrive via Failure. You will have your choice of 6-10 mutations each time.

Well it helps for sure so you can somewhat avoid being a bug eyed monster from the swamp but thats about the level of control you have :)

Can you modify rolls on the individual god gift tables as well ?

The individual god gifts really aren't modifiable, unfortunately... you are definitely going to become something stupid looking if you go for the individual god gifts.

Deinos said:

The individual god gifts really aren't modifiable, unfortunately... you are definitely going to become something stupid looking if you go for the individual god gifts.

Luckily they dont make you look that stupid, and if you are a proper slaanesh worshipper you would be thrilled at getting the face of a Daemonette or getting the Hermaphrodite gift.

What are the mechanics for gaining mutations/gifts? From what I've read, you still have to roll, but also have a greater degree of control than in the previous games.

You can modify the result Infamy/10 places (so starting char can push it up or down 0-2 points in either direction). Chaos Undivided (which you start as) lets you roll twice before doing this.

Deinos said:

Chaos Undivided (which you start as) lets you roll twice before doing this.

did I miss that? where/what is that?

vogue69 said:

Deinos said:

Chaos Undivided (which you start as) lets you roll twice before doing this.

did I miss that? where/what is that?

PG 293. End of the first big paragraph under the headline Gifts of the Gods.

Quote" Characters that are Unaligned may roll twice ani
the result they prefer, after which they may modify the result
by their Inflamy bonus."

ahh ok thx

but who the hell is unaligned anyway gran_risa.gif

vogue69 said:

ahh ok thx

but who the hell is unaligned anyway gran_risa.gif

There is a very big chance that most players are Unaligned, at least for their first Gift.

And how do the gifts of the gods work?

Cifer said:

And how do the gifts of the gods work?

they turn your insides out for example. or turn you into a sack of boneless flesh. they can really screw your charakter if are unlucky. if you are aligned you are allowed an infamy test to roll on a second smaller table where the really good stuff happens to you (more or less). Each chaos god has his own table.

if you are a psyker and roll good on the gifts and true gifts you will rock the known (and unknown) universe.