Combat questions!

By D_M, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hello!

Just wanted to see what you say on the following.

My friend plays a strength 2 horseman, the I play a strength 2 pikeman...do I win because I attack and I have trumph?

If so, then my strength 2 pikeman still stands, and my friend plays a strength 2 horseman again...then what? does he win even though I have trumph because he is attacking? or do I win due to the trumph, or is it a tie?

Would he need a strength 3 horseman to win in this case?

Any takes?

Best regards.

D_M said:

Hello!

Just wanted to see what you say on the following.

My friend plays a strength 2 horseman, the I play a strength 2 pikeman...do I win because I attack and I have trumph?

You win because the pikemen trumphs the horsemen. Wether you are the attacker or defender is completley and utterly irrelevant. Trumph is trumph.

D_M said:

If so, then my strength 2 pikeman still stands, and my friend plays a strength 2 horseman again...then what? does he win even though I have trumph because he is attacking? or do I win due to the trumph, or is it a tie?

Following the same rules of trumping, you would win. Thus it would make more sense for your friend to play his horsemen in a new front, which would be a totally legal move as you do not HAVE to attack an existing front when playing a unit.

D_M said:

Would he need a strength 3 horseman to win in this case?

Any takes?

Either that or strength 2(or more) archers. The archers would in this case be better as the strength 3 horsemen would be damaged and risk being killed by a possible strength 1 spearman played by you.

D_M said:

Best regards.

No worries. Better to ask and possibly seem dim than to not ask and actually be dim.

That helped to clear out some differences we had : )

And just to be on the safe side, a follow up question.

If like in the above scenario I play a strength 2 pikeman, and my friend plays the same....are both killed or is it a tie?

Best Regards.

Since neither of the two units trumph the other they would do simultanious damage and both be killed. Once again, opening a new front would be the better choice here.