List of [Question]s

By Kawarazu, in Elder Sign

I would go with A. The spell has already been used.

I agree with Gamemaster, "use" would seem to refer to the inital act of playing the spell.

can a spell hold a die that long? maybe i'm confused here, but I thought if you used spell to hold a die it would go away when that players turn was over. most of the time you would use that saved die on the adventure you were trying.

if it doesn't, well this kinda sucks in that the next player is short that die.

SexyMike44 said:

can a spell hold a die that long? maybe i'm confused here, but I thought if you used spell to hold a die it would go away when that players turn was over. most of the time you would use that saved die on the adventure you were trying.

if it doesn't, well this kinda sucks in that the next player is short that die.

Yes, spells hold a die (or dice for one spell) until they are used to complete a task, which could be longer than the caster's turn. You definitely have to plan a bit when placing a die on a spell, but it could easily be a benefit for the next player.

I don't think players can use most items that add a die (or dice) to the dice pool to help other players. "Most Common Items allow a player to spend the
item in order to add the yellow die to *his* dice pool..." Bold *his* for point of reference. That is rules laywering, but it is different than using *the* dice pool. That same wording applies to unique items.

What is not clear is when an investigator's special ability can be used to manipulate the dice rolls. We play that when investigator's are in the same adventure, they can assist and apply their ability.

Jenkins said:

What is not clear is when an investigator's special ability can be used to manipulate the dice rolls. We play that when investigator's are in the same adventure, they can assist and apply their ability.

Jenkins said:

I don't think players can use most items that add a die (or dice) to the dice pool to help other players. "Most Common Items allow a player to spend the
item in order to add the yellow die to *his* dice pool..." Bold *his* for point of reference. That is rules laywering, but it is different than using *the* dice pool. That same wording applies to unique items.

Jenkins said:

sexymike44: The first paragraph on page 10: "A die may remain on a Spell card for any number of turns before being used. The active player may always use a die on a Spell card to complete a task regardless of who played the Spell." Yes, spells are a double-edged sword. They're very useful if you roll the right result, but if, say, the adventure you're on needs only Peril and Lore and you roll nothing but Terror and Investigation after using a spell, you still need to put a die on the spell, and the die's going to stay there until someone uses it to complete a task. Spells are really only feasible when used on the first roll of a turn, since you'll have the most dice then, and even then they can be dangerous.

you don't have to put any dice on a spell if you cast the spell. You do loose the spell though.

i'm not sure how i feel about this use of spells though. My grp hasn't been using spells hardly because we feel they are almost useless. Mostly we use them when we roll a red or yellow die so we can try to hold one of those dice. but we have been using them later on the same adventure.

I guess this forces players to coordinate more. Which can be good, but some players could use it to force other players to go after certain tasks, or stop them from going after certain tasks. Hopefully no one playes like that though.

SexyMike44 said:

you don't have to put any dice on a spell if you cast the spell. You do loose the spell though.

That is incorrect - you do have to place a die on the spell.

suck, makes spells even more useless imo. Now I wouldn't use one unless I had a few clue tokens.

Questions I had (since I can't find the answer in the rulebook for some reason):

If you are reduced to 0 stamina or sanity (but not both), what happens? Wife and I have been playing that you are returned to 1 and go back to the entrance, then advance the clock.

Also, can you trade trophies between players?

Ayumbhara said:

Questions I had (since I can't find the answer in the rulebook for some reason):

If you are reduced to 0 stamina or sanity (but not both), what happens? Wife and I have been playing that you are returned to 1 and go back to the entrance, then advance the clock.

Also, can you trade trophies between players?

If either Sanity or Stamina gets to 0, you are devoured. Add a doom token, discard all items and trophies and pick a new character.

You cannot trade trophies.

Ahh, I misread it. Thanks.

SexyMike44 said:

here i only have one question. if a monster marker is in place that locks a die. And you beat that monster marker first, do you get the unlocked die back?

I have been playing it as NO, the die stays locked with the monster marker until the marker is removed, which happens at the end of the investigators turn if he completed the task on the monster marker.

that is how I have been playing it so far.

You release a locked die on a monster marker as the monster task is completed.
Rules at p11, Cards and Markers with a Locked Die Icon:
"Until ... the task on that Monster marker is complete, that die may not be added to die rolls..."