Decks for the upcoming League play

By ankhwearer, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Now that the league has been announced, it looks like the deck construction is going to be solely the base set and Asylum packs.

The intial week is Basic plus an Asylum selected by the organizer, plus any one other Asylum pack. Assuming that the organizer is going to pick the most recent pack, Spawn of the Sleeper, what sort of deck builds are the experts suggesting to the rookies?

So far, most of the deck builds I have seen mix CCG cards with the newer LCG cards, but that apparently is reserved for tourney play. So we need some new ideas.

im gonna have to go with shub.

shocking transformation and priestess of bubastis seem like a solid choice with the slow down, plus burrowing beneath! i might mix in some hastur to cancel i dont wanna get hit with torch the joint, plus aspiring artist i think is one of the best cards in the asylum packs so far. a good early game card will help me get shocking transformation. plus performance artist will let me get a good monster out with worry for richard III. im really not sure yet. i know ill stick with shub for sure. slavering gug with shocking transformation could be a good combo to get rid of those pesky cafetria ladies which i expect will see some play.

but richard III and victoria loft would be great too. id have other ways to drive things insane with hastur and richard would take of the rest right away.

i havent given too much thought yet in this. just kicking around ideas.

also im not an expert, so this might not be what youre looking for.

I think I'll primairly pick Syndicate... Panic plus the 3 other Exhausters (Syndicate Liason, Hard Case, Extortionist) is a great start for Syndicate. Demented Caretaker is a nice addition, and Finchington will have a lot to do, since there are a lot of Monsters. Don't know my secundairy faction yet - Agency historically works well with Syndicate, but Shub is also nice with the Ready effects - Shub has some monsters though, which is a bit counterproductive...

"In the Call of Cthulhu LCG Adventure League, each player takes the role of one of the 7 Faction icons: Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Hastur, Richard Upton Pickman (Syndicate), Professor Albert Wilmarth (Miskatonic U.), or Thomas F. Malone (Agency). After picking an ally faction , players build a league deck from a limited card pool with cards from these two factions plus neutral cards."

Does that mean you can pick whichever faction you want, or just a buddy faction? So you could only pick Cthulhu or Agency to go with Syndicate. I thought that ally faction meant you can't pick odd pairings.

I read it to mean that whatever second faction you pick is your "ally faction."

Bard said:

"In the Call of Cthulhu LCG Adventure League, each player takes the role of one of the 7 Faction icons: Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Hastur, Richard Upton Pickman (Syndicate), Professor Albert Wilmarth (Miskatonic U.), or Thomas F. Malone (Agency). After picking an ally faction , players build a league deck from a limited card pool with cards from these two factions plus neutral cards."

Does that mean you can pick whichever faction you want, or just a buddy faction? So you could only pick Cthulhu or Agency to go with Syndicate. I thought that ally faction meant you can't pick odd pairings.

The buddy factions in Arkham are - debatably - different from those in Eldritch. You get to pick whatever secundairy faction you choose. But more will be explained later on...

Hello,

Does anyone know if there would be more recycled cards from old sets? Or would there only be brand new ones for (at least) 6 months?

Core set have few of my favorites, but so many cards seems to be wainting for new coming. In FFG news they are using old cards like professor of archeology and it's not in the core set.

(hmm... my bad, It was Marius's text about importance of skill)

Alaranta

Take from the Adventure League Survival Guide ....

"A player in a CoC LCG League starts off with a CoC Core Set, 1 copy of Asylum Pack 7, and player’s choice of any other LCG Asylum Pack. (AP5 and up.)
An additional LCG Asylum Pack (player’s choice) is added to a player’s cardpool at the beginning of week 2 and at the beginning of week 4."

If I'm reading this correctly, we are allowed to use one base set and Asylum Pack 7 (The Spawn of the Sleeper?) and one other Asylum pack (from 5 on up).

So the cardpool for the base set is Highlander while we can use multiples of cards from the Asylum packs (assuming there are multiples in that Asylum pack). This should be interesting. preocupado.gif

Wow ... I guess I have to separate my cards by Asylum packs. It should be easy though since these are only the white border cards.

The other thing that is concerning is the drafting of Main factions for each 6 week adventure. That means we will have to bring all our cards and construct the deck at the first event.

Hopefully everyone will be honest so we don't have to submit deck lists to the servitor for each league event.

So, in the first round of league play you would get to use any card from the base set, and cards from ONE copy of one of the APs? Or would you get to use the base set and, let's say cards from 3 copies of Mountains of Madness?

sepayne7l said:

So, in the first round of league play you would get to use any card from the base set, and cards from ONE copy of one of the APs? Or would you get to use the base set and, let's say cards from 3 copies of Mountains of Madness?

My read of the rules for "Encounter One" are that you get ONE single base set, ONE pack of AP7 and ONE pack of another Asylum set.

That means that we are definitely playing Highlander style in the first League. In fact, that means that you have very little tuning to do when you start off, since you get about 30 cards from each faction (~25 unique) and about 22 neutral cards (~16 unique) to select from. In other words, you are making a deck of fifty cards from a choice of 76 cards total (varies with faction choices).

Certainly a fair start for those just entering the game, which I agree should be the goal for the very first league: get more players. Not terribly exciting for long time deck tuners.

if any asylum pack thats has 3x you may include all 3 in the deck.

That makes sense now. Being the first tournament they would make it as cheap as possible to start.

Thanks for the quick answers.

PearlJamaholic said:

if any asylum pack thats has 3x you may include all 3 in the deck.

And, there seems to be nothing against "repeating" an AP for your card pool. Hitting week two of the League, you could be playing with Core+Sleeper AP7+Mountains AP5 +Mountains AP5. This would allow you to play six Sled Dogs and have a pile of Polar events.

O.K. I've got what might be a silly, totally ridiculous question. Everyone has been talking about choosing your faction and then choosing a second "buddy" faction, which is leading me to believe that the game has a deck building restriction of only 2 factions plus neutral. But, this restriction is not listed in the deck building rules in the core set. As I understood it, the "mix any two factions" comment in the core rules was just a quick way for beginners to get started. I also understand that limiting your deck to only 2 factions may be more efficient but I have found ways to make more factions actually work. Is it legal to build a deck with more than 2 factions or have I missed something.

Jeffrey Wills said:

O.K. I've got what might be a silly, totally ridiculous question. Everyone has been talking about choosing your faction and then choosing a second "buddy" faction, which is leading me to believe that the game has a deck building restriction of only 2 factions plus neutral. But, this restriction is not listed in the deck building rules in the core set. As I understood it, the "mix any two factions" comment in the core rules was just a quick way for beginners to get started. I also understand that limiting your deck to only 2 factions may be more efficient but I have found ways to make more factions actually work. Is it legal to build a deck with more than 2 factions or have I missed something.

You can mix any number of factions you want, normally, but the league brings some extra restrictions to deckbuilding. Outside of the league you can make your deck with any factions you want.