Learning Magic Rules from Arcana Exxet

By Arikail, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

These are the rules for learning magic, as presented in Arcana Exxet. Just like Dominus Exxet and Ki abilities, they are based off of degrees of learning, and how high your Magic Level is.

Learning Magic

One of the toughest challenges you can face as both the GM and as a player is to determine how a Sorcerer is able to learn their spells. It is important to remember that the mere fact that someone has a high Magic Level does not mean they can maximize their Path knowledge; they must first spend time studying and formulating new spells. Even the greatest archmages need time and dedication to learn the more complex spells. There is even the case that the GM does not allow players to develop certain spells until they are given the right circumstances for it.
Below are a series of general guidelines, the GM can use to determine the approximate time that a character
requires to develop and hone their magical abilities.

Grades and Learning Difficulties
First, determine what knowledge the character has. To do this, you should take your total magic level, using it to find their degree of learning, as outlined in Table 1. Logically, the higher your total magic level, the higher mystical knowledge they possess.
Then, find the spell level they want to learn. Depending on how high it is, it is classified in one of ten groups as reflected in Table 1. Once we have both values, we need only check the box to get an idea of the time required to develop the next spell of the Path in question or the selected spell he wants. Fields marked with NA represent that the wizard is unable to learn a spell that complex yet, while those with the word automatically indicate that they only require a few seconds to make up the spell.

Supernatural Level: If the game has an extremely high supernatural level, the character increases his Degree of Learning by one level.
Studying: The values are reflected in Table 1 imply that the character spends most of his time studying and developing his magical knowledge. In the case that he is unable to dedicate significant time to study, increase the difficulty level of what he is learning by one level.
Masters and Instructors: If the character has an Instructor, increase their Degree of Learning by one level. If, however, he is trained by a true Master, increase his Degree of Learning by two levels.
Mystical Texts: Having a mystical text to use as a reference to study the spells increases the Degree of Learning the character has by a level. This benefit cannot be applied if he is also being trained by an Instructor or a Master.
Occult Mastery: A character who has attained Mastery in the Occult secondary skill increases his Degree of Learning by a level.
Learning a Specific Spell: Spells selected individually outside of Paths are treated as being a level of difficulty above the group which they normally would fall into. For example, trying to learn a level 16 spell would be equivalent to trying to learn a spell between level 22 and 30. If this spell also belongs to one a Path that is opposed to one the character already knows, the Learning Difficulty increases by 2 levels.

Sophia, who has a Magic Level of 50 points (of which she has only developed to level 30), would have a Degree of Learning of 2, but having obtained Mastery in Occult, this brings her up to 3. Because she wants to learn the next spell of her Path (in this case, a spell of level 32), we look on Table 1 and find that she learns a spell each week until she reaches level 40. If she had an Instructor, she would learn a spell each day, whereas if she was taught by a true Master, she would learn each spell in an hour.

Table 1: Learning Spells

1st, ML 2-28 2nd, ML 30-48 3rd, ML 50-68 4th, ML 70-148 5th, ML 150-298 6th, ML 300-500
2-10 One Day One Hour One Minute Automatic Automatic Automatic
12-20 One Week One Day One Hour One Minute Automatic Automatic
22-30 One Month One Week One Day One Hour One Minute Automatic
32-40 Three Months One Month One Week One Day One Hour One Minute
42-50 Six Months Three Months One Month One Week One Day One Hour
52-60 One Year Six Months Three Months One Month One Week One Day
62-70 One Decade One Year Six Months Three Months One Month One Week
72-80 NA One Decade One Year Six Months Three Months One Month
82-90 NA NA One Decade One Year Six Months Three Months
92-100 NA NA NA One Decade One Year Six Months

Insufficient Knowledge of Magic
On rare occasions it may happen that in a desperate situation, a wizard will try to cast a spell from a Path he knows, but that is still too advanced for him. The wizard may attempt to “create” the spell spontaneously, but must know that there is a serious risk of failure. To attempt this, the character must have the sufficient ML to learn the spell on his Path, but has not had time to master the spell yet. (Not entirely certain on that line there). In these cases, the character must overcome an Intelligence Check vs. a difficulty of 10 plus 1 per 2 points difference that exists between his current Path level and the level of the spell that
he wants to use. If it fails, he automatically loses as many points of Zeon as the Arcane Grade of the spell would cost, while if successful, he may cast the spell at the Base Degree as normal.
A character who has improvised a spell must spend his next ML points to advance as close to learning the spell he improvised as possible.

Sophia, who has learned up to level 30 of the Book of Air, wants to use the spell Lightning (Level 46). Since there is a difference of 16 points between her current level and the level she wants to cast, she must pass an Intelligence check vs. difficulty 18.

Learning Metamagic Spheres
Like Spells, a character can spend their Magic Level to master skills and gain a Metamagic Advantages from the Arcane Shepirah. In these cases, to determine the Difficulty Level of a sphere, multiply the level requirement for that Sphere by ten. That is, if learning an advantage with a level requirement of 5, it would be equivalent to learning a level 50 spell.

Who is Considered a Master?
This section has noted on several occasions that there are instructors and Masters of magic, but ... who can actually be considered an "Instructor" or "Master"?
In principle, any individual who has magical knowledge that is unknown to the character is automatically an Instructor. Thus, a sorcerer with a higher Path level than the character or one who knows a spell the character is trying to learn is able to act as an Instructor for him.
However, a true Master is a much more than just an Instructor. An individual who not only has knowledge that is unknown to the character, but also has extensive experience that far exceeds that of the apprentice, is called a Master. Therefore, he can adapt to the needs of his students and his lessons are much more valuable. Therefore, someone is considered a Master for the character if they have at least three Degrees of Learning more than the character and has knowledge that the student wants to learn. Therefore, under these rulings, one can be a Master for some people and
merely an Instructor for others.

And that's it. For those who want a document, here's the link:

docs.google.com/leaf

Thanks for the translation work. Training times are not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate the effort made for the community.

This was a request that I was able to do real quick. Otherwise would have been a lot longer in coming, as chapter 1 is probably one of the last ones I'm planning on doing.

Thanks Arikail. This will be a lot of help. Probably won't use it as is, but a reference on how the official time to learn really is helpful happy.gif .

Arikail said:

To attempt this, the character must have the sufficient ML to learn the spell on his Path, but has not had time to master the spell yet. (Not entirely certain on that line there).

I think what this line is saying, and taking the example character in question, the character must have the ability to learn the spell. For example, it says she has a total level of 50, with 30 learned. She has the ability (but maybe not the means) to learn the spell, so she can attempt to use the spell through this method.

That's how I read it, I'm just not sure if my translation from the original Spanish was spot on. That's what it sounded like it read, and how I'll use it until a better translation comes along. I wanted to point out though, that I wasn't sure that's what the translation said. Most of my stuff, I'm pretty confident in my translation skills. That line was a bit shaky. :)

Sorry if I just missed it, but do the MLs from Natural Knowledge of a Path count towards the MLs you know when calculating learning times? I could see it go either way.

I would personally go with no, as they are an innate part of you, rather than something you learned. You learned to control it, but it's sort of inborn. I mostly go with that since you can't use that knowledge to teach others the spells, so you really have no more understanding of the magic than a commoner in those regards, even though you can whip up that fireball naturally.

In a high powered game, I might rule otherwise, and it certainly doesn't hurt the PC's if you do allow them to count those levels for learning new spells. So it could go either way, depending on the feel of the game the GM wants to foster.

What if I had the gift but hadn't learned any spells, yet? How would I learn the first skill? My degree of learning is a 0, which is less than the chart.

Is there a definite ruling on this? or do I have to throw myself on the mercy of a sadistic GM?

Mercy of the GM, but I would say double what is listed as the lowest for the initial spent to get started. Normally though mage characters start with a couple spells they can use and go from there.

And if I didn't start as a mage or even a mystic archetype? The others start with zero, and two times zero is still zero.

Dark Paladin, with Control and all that. CON is so low that I don't regen, so I wanted a heal-spell or something to help me not be dead.

It doesn't matter what class/archetype they are all subject to the chart to advance in spells.

In arcana, the chart says if you aren't mystic or mixed you start with no spells. The chart of learning starts wiith 2 magi levels used. If I haven't used any (and can't due to not being a mystic or mixed) I'm not on the chart, and can't learn anything.

Then it is up to the GM.

But again say it would be reasonable to assume that in that case learning time would be double the minimum just so you can learn something.... and probably with a master or at least a tome/scroll as a guide.

Why not just for go learning magic entirely if you wanna make a character like that, just go for Natural Magic and be done with it.