Special Actions No Action

By zschunkem, in Red November

The rule on page 10 of revised rules does not make since to me. A gnome in a room with high water must try to get out and if he cannot he dies. How can he take no action so someone else can act before him? Please explain. Thanks Mike

Are you referring to gnomes in a high water room only being allowed to take the "no action" option? If so, I don't believe this is to allow for another player to act first, but rather to specify that the gnome can't attempt to fix anything or pump the water out of the room; so no "last ditch" heroics preventing the sub from overheating or similar.

No Action: A gnome can choose to do nothing and take no action at
all. This costs one minute. A player may take this option to allow another
player to act before him, for example. This is the only option for
a gnome in a room at high water

This is the rule I do not understand. How can you basically pass on your turn only using one minute? Can you keep doing this until it is not your turn anymore? Like the initial reply to my first post, you would die in a room with high water.

Any help clarifying this rule would be appreciated. Thanks

As said, I believe the rule is there to explicitly prevent a gnome in a high water room from making a self-sacrificing fix of a system before drowning--say, if the high water were in the missile launch room and there was a missile event tile on the track. The only option for a gnome that can't escape a high water room is "No Action" and then drowning.

Any other situation (except a room on fire) a gnome can choose "No Action" and move the ghost timer on one minute of the track (in addition to any time for hatches and movement) and their turn ends. Then resolve after the turn as usual for checking "kicking the bucket" and event cards. Then check for the next gnome to act.

Yes, if you wish, you can repeatedly choose the "No Action" until such a time as you pass another gnomes time tracker and they take their turn, although if you are a fair distance back, you'll probably be drawing a good number of event cards while doing so.

Thanks! Like a lot of the rules for this game, it is a little vague.