Quest 3: Problems of Life and Death - A quick question

By TychoVII, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Apologies if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find it. I was OL during this quest last night and the heroes made it to the room with the 3 stone naga. They avoided the bells and went straight for the gold (I've never seen new Descent players not do this, they must be afraid of scary question marks). At this point the directions tell you to read the following:

"Thief!" Hissing, the remaining naga statues attack.

Under that it says "All remaining nagas in this area are awakened. See above.

My question: Are the nagas activated immediately? Or do are they simply turned normal? It seems weird to me that I would read that the nagas attack and then the remaining heroes get to continue with their turn and possibly kill one or two of them straight away. On the other hand it doesn't say that the nagas are activated , only awakened . Does it mean the player's turn ends and mine begins? Or perhaps only the nagas activate and no other monsters? If that's the case, do I get to activate them again when my turn comes around? Or have they already been activated for that turn?

I'm probably reading too much into this but it's been bugging me and it would be nice to know before they attempt it again. I ended up allowing the nagas to activate in the middle of the player's turn and then activated them again on my following turn. This resulted in the heroes getting slaughtered. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Ruleswise the text in the box has no impact on the game - it is just flavour text. The Naga are just awakenend, which according to the quest guide means that they become normal figures (if I recall that correctly).

As you saw in your game, the extra activation spelled Doom for the hero players, so it might not be the original intention - yet the original intention is never known to us...

I guess I'll just do it that way. Announce that I'm attacking and then quietly sit back down and kindly let the players finish their turn. It does seem to be the way the quest guide states it. It still feels weird that it unfolds that way. Thanks for the insight.

I'd "houserule" it so the nagas activate immediately once a hero touches the chest/gold/etc. Otherwise there is next to no penalty for running in and grabbing the loot. That'll teach 'em! :)