Animals in Gaia

By Stilgar, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

In the very back of the Gaia sourcebook is a list of animals. I know what a fox, crocodile and owl look like but they list a few that I don't recognize. What are these things?

Acinonyx - has a maw and tentacles (a squid?)

Ilona - can kick - Is this a pureblood horse from Ilona?

Yourgoulat - claws and bites

Nya Leusi - maw and claws - assassin?

Mesagardon - bites

Culastis - bites

Lija Coralline - bites and swims

A google search shows that an acinonyx is a cheetah. But why do the stats have a "maw and claws / tentacle". Maybe this didn't translate well and they meant "tail" instead of tentacle. Curious.

All page-references are in the Gaia-Book (I have used the Book-Index to find the pages with the description).

The Gaia-acinonyx isn't a cheeta. It is described on page 169:

"Unusual predators plague the territory, most notable a silent gray feline called acinonyx, whose most striking feature is the long tentacle coming directly out of their heads." (Page 169, left colomn, last paragraph)

Ilona's are the horses from Helenia. Page 54, Box "The Ilona"

Yoürgoulats are wild brown bears. Page 200, Section about Schaefer Forest.

Nya Leusi are big black panthers (Daaku, Lucanors bodyguard is a Nya Leusi). Page 197, Section about Dahabu Mountains.

Mesagardon: I don't know, they are not in the Index.

Culasti: serpents. Page 51, Section about "Forest of Zulan"

And by Lija Coralline, I think they mean "Coral Sandpaper". Because the Index says, that Lija Coralline is mentioned on page 80, but the only creature I find their is "Coral Sandpaper" (in the Section "Coast of Alamdir"): "As if this were not enough, the reef is populated by a strange species called Coral Sandpaper, silver-plated fish roughly five feet in length. These highly dangerous carnivores are normally solitary hunters, but if the locate very large prey, they make a charateristic clicking noise with their jaws to attract others of its kind looking for help to take it down."

If someone finds other "Lija Coralline" or find this "Mesagardon", please post it.

So Long,

Thank you F3nr1s! That was a big help!

Stilgar said:

A google search shows that an acinonyx is a cheetah. But why do the stats have a "maw and claws / tentacle". Maybe this didn't translate well and they meant "tail" instead of tentacle. Curious.

Sounds like a modified displacer beast to me

Yea! But the tentacle is on it's head instead of its shoulders! That's Anima for you.

About the Mesagardon I can only make a guess, based on the characteristics of the beast and its name (the suffix "-gardon" might be an anagram of dragon).

I believe it might be some sort of reptile big animal. It has an AT4 cuirass open on the belly section, which is very reptile-like. Also, it's main weapon is the Bite, which is also very likely for a reptile predator. Scales might also justify the Damage Barrier 60. It's a very sturdy creature with low reflexes and intelligence making his sheet very similar to that of the crocodile (which also has Damage Barrier) on that side.

Strange enough, NOONE asked it on the spanish forum, so I can't really confirm it, but I'd surely go for a bear-sized lizard.

Thanks Elric, I think you are close. I'm imagining that it might be a dinosaur type creature. It has more life points than a Yourgoulat but less than a T-rex. I'm just curious which one. Perhaps this is one of those riding lizard beast the norse raiders were using to raid in the northeast.

I have found it (after a search with Google, I found a thread in the spanish Anime/Edge-Forum).

The Mesargadon is a lizard from Dalaborn. It is described in the section about "Plateau of Argadas" on page 61

So long.

Yes! There it is...the reason I couldn't find it is because in the "Plateau of Argadas" description it's called "mesargadon", while in the animals' section it's called "mesagardon"!

Anyway, looks like my guess was very close (possibly I could have read it and forgot it, but somehow "preserved" an unconscious knowledge of the matter).

I wouldn't believe them to be used like steeds, simply based on the fact that they have Agi4...hence Movement4. Most humans have Movement 5 and trained barbarian warriors might go up to 6...usually mounts are used to speed-up travel, not to slow it down.

Elric of Melniboné said:

Yes! There it is...the reason I couldn't find it is because in the "Plateau of Argadas" description it's called "mesargadon", while in the animals' section it's called "mesagardon"!

Anyway, looks like my guess was very close (possibly I could have read it and forgot it, but somehow "preserved" an unconscious knowledge of the matter).

I wouldn't believe them to be used like steeds, simply based on the fact that they have Agi4...hence Movement4. Most humans have Movement 5 and trained barbarian warriors might go up to 6...usually mounts are used to speed-up travel, not to slow it down.

In real life example -- That $50,000 sports car might be able to do upwards of 150-200mph, but does it have the hauling power of say a Ford F-150?

Nice find F3nr1s, it would have taken me a while to find that reference. I'll have to read through Gaia again but more slowly and maybe I can pick up on the rest. How is everyone finding these references? Do you have the digital download that allows for searching?

For most of the creatures (every creature except the mesagardon/mesargadon), I used the index at the end of the book. Anima-Books have a nice index (in comparsion to other RPGs I play).

And I think, mesagardons not really suited as mounts. Like Elric said, they are not really fast. If someone would use it as a "transporter", he could, but their where better choices for combat riding. Also, mesagardons are territorial, they shouldn't like it, to leave their area, so it isn't sure, if you can train it (for example: wolves can't be trained, it took years to get a dog through domestication).

So long,

Are there stats on the My'Hal, the wolves in Galgados?