RTL: Dungeon #33: Down the Drain - THE DEATH OF ME !!!

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

For some reason, this dungeon has caused more conflict, debate, questions, etc. than most that we have played.

In eralier posts, you have convinced us that "thou shalt not jump over water", and "thou shalt not move through a hero who is in water".

Something interesting has occurred in our battles, and we need additional direction from all of you. As you recall, monsters are not allowed to move into the water on their turn. Heroes, if in the water, move toward the pit of death by rolling a yellow die and moving towards the pit at the end of the stream. If the roll results in the hero falling into the pit, the hero instantly dies (regardless of current wounds and/or armor).

One of our heroes has the Mace of Aver, a copper melee weapon which has knockback. The heroes have chosen to knockback monsters by placing them into the water, and/or directly into the pit. They argue that the monsters are not moving into the pit on their own accord. They further postulate that even the undying master monster of the level, who was knockedback directly into the pit, instantly dies, and does not get to roll for their undying ability. They figured that even if he could roll for undying, and he lived, he would still be in the pit space and just instantly die again.

In another scenario, they knockedback a monster over the water to the other side, saying that this would be no different than kncocking back things over mud, ice, pits, blocks, etc.

So, in order to resolve our discussions, we turn to all of you:

1) Should monsters be able to be knocked back into the water? If so, when would they roll the yellow die to determine how far down the stream they move? The heroes have to do it the moment they enter the water. Should the Overlord roll for the monster in question immediately (during the heroes turn), or should they wait until the start of the Overlord's turn to do it (at the point in time the Overlord activates the monster, much like dealing with affect tokens such as web, burn, etc.). We think the answer should be yes, and that they roll immediately .

2) If you can't knock a monster back into the water, should you be able to knock them directly into the pit? We think the answer should be yes.

3) Can monsters be knocked back over the water? The main master monster for the level is actually on one side of the water, and without any special abilities (such as knockback) would have no way of getting to the other side, since he cannot move into the water (which could be the intent of the dungeon). We think the answer should be yes.

I suggest you play it like your group thinks it should be played, if all of you agree.

If you do not, however, I suggest you play it exactly as written on the dungeon card, without any interpretation. I happen to have a copy of the now very valuable RtL expansion, gui%C3%B1o.gif so I can quote what's written on it:

"Heroes (but not monsters) may move through water spaces on this level."

The text states that monsters may not move through water spaces. For monsters, I would treat water as if it was rubble for knockback purposes.

"However, entering a water space immediately ends a hero 's turn. If a hero ends his turn in a water space, roll a yellow die and..."

Even if for some reason a monster ended in a water space, nothing would happen to it, because a monster is not a hero. If the architects of this specific dungeon had intended heroes and monsters to be affected by the water, they would have used the word " figure " instead of "hero".

"If a hero enters the pit he is immediately killed..."

Again, if the dungeon makers had wanted all figures to be killed by the pit, they would have used "figure" instead of "hero". Therefore, if a monster is knockbacked into the pit, a literal reading of the dungeon card implies that the monster is affected not by this dungeon card rule, but by the general rule for falling into pits. Therefore, the monster would take 1 wound.

If you all agree the card should be interpreted so as to read "figure" where it is written "hero", you should of course go ahead. This kind of "rules lawyering" should only be used if there is disagreement among the group. serio.gif