Gaining support tokens

By TriumphantOgre, in Death Angel

Hi,

A question about gaining support tokens... the rules state:

"When a player resolves a Support Action card, he gains one Support Token (from the supply of unused tokens) and places it on any Space Marine card."

What counts as resolving a Support Action card? Is it if I make use of the text on the card, or is it whenever its number comes up in the Actions Phase? If it's the former, then support tokens are very rare. For instance, if I play Defensive Stance in my first turn, which reads:

"Each time 1 of your defending Space Marines spends a Support Token to reroll a die, the attack misses unless the new roll is a 0."

then I won't actually be able to resolve it as I won't get a token.

Much obliged for any help.

TriumphantOgre said:

"When a player resolves a Support Action card, he gains one Support Token (from the supply of unused tokens) and places it on any Space Marine card."

What counts as resolving a Support Action card?

Placing the Support token IMO is resolving the Support Action. There is nothing else to be done by the rules. Some Support Action cards (Purple at least) state something like "after resolving this card's action..."

I'll play it your way and maybe survive long enough to get to stage four.

I forget where it stated it in the rules (don't have it with me at the moment), but I'm pretty sure there was a section stating that each action has a natural effect based on what action it is on top of that action's special ability.

In short, you get a support token each time you play a support card along with whatever special ability is on that support card.

Thanks. Target Lock also clarifies this... "After resolving this card's action, place a Support Token on a swarm." Obviously, if I were playing the game as before and only counting the special ability as resolving the card, then this card would never have any effect.

Even with all the Support Tokens, I still found my marines were slaughtered before reaching the final stage. And I thought Arkham Horror was merciless...

Have you been playing solo? I've lost all solo games I've played so far, but we've won most 2-player games. Team combos can make a huge difference I've found.

Yes, all but two games were solo. The two two-player games went terrible too, although that was due to the other player complaining it was too complicated (which is odd as he managed to get to grips with Warhammer: Invasion). I may try with more teams next time as the solo rules are easily adapted (err... pick six teams instead of three?).