Doom or Doom+Expansion

By willco, in Doom

I'm thinking of asking for Doom for Christmas.

Should I ask for the expansion, too? I don't want to be greedy, so if I can get away with just the core game, that would be great. Does the game play well with just the core? What, in your estimation, does the expansion really add?

I think you should get both. The Expansion adds a lot of nice features and fixes some glitches with the game mechanics, plus it has more scenarios, deathmatch mode and capture the flag. And - last but not least - it has more cool figures :)

Get both. There are some misprints in the rule book and things left out that can leave you pulling out the book more then once. PLus it pretty much finishes up the cool moneys from Doom. Can't go wrong with more minis.

I have to agree with everyone else that asking for (and hopefully getting) both is the best way to go. I found the expansion does just what it is suppose to and adds some great additional content as well as fixing some things in the core game. Plus the new minis are wicked and have caused my players to loath me even more. Plus if you ever decide to paint them up you will really appreciate the work that went into the sculpts.

BOTH! the expansion does add to the base game.

OD

Hey it's Christmas, if you have the money get them both :)

yeah, Doom + Exp is well worth buying.

I think only the box is enough for real fun. The rule fixes can be included in the Standard Box with no problem and the expansion does not add much new playstyle. Only more monsters to get rid off. But if you can get both for free, take them.

If you like the campaign, buying just the original will see you a tad annoyed since the story does not end in the original. You'll need the expansion to get to the end of the current story. Also, having original only does not support deathmatch and other inter-marine fights. As a final note, who can resist getting the Vagary and Cacodemons? They look awesome.

I have play deathmatch and ctf two times and it never worked right, if you want to play that modus, look for some computers.

And who is interested in a campaign in a game like that. Kill'em all.

HA! When I plopped a Cacodemon on the board and it did a number on my players the looks on their faces were priceless. Needless to say that they have been even more cautious once I had introduced some of the critters from the Expansion. The HellKnight is still my favourite critter to really ground and pound the marines with.

Okay, that is a pretty resounding "yes, dude, get them both if you can"!

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I'll post again if and when I get them and get a few games under my belt. Anything I should keep in mind for my first few games?

First few games should only use the Original Box. The expansion is just that, expanding your experience once you get used to the original

Take it easy on the marines, they have a hard time as it is to win the game :) )

Hmm.

The expansion pretty much brings Deathmatch, more monsters, and some miscellaneous goodies, such as airless sections. If you want Deathmatch, or enjoy painting Doom miniatures, sure, get the expansion. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much more you'll get from it.

I'd suggest Doom + Arkham Horror... :D

Yes, get the expansion just for the Cacodemons YAY!!!!!!

They are my 2nd favourite demons from the Game

Archvile is my fav, but i dont like the mini when i compare it to how it appears in Doom 3

Get Both....since both are quite hard to get....and the expansion will enhance the gaming experience for the base......

I'd recommend both too but only play with the original first and then start adding stuff. The new monster cards are very good and some of the new marine powers. Plus, marine figures with chainsaws are always awesome :)

Yup, get them both, imo the expansion is totally worth it!