How to play

By Runner5, in Rune Age

I've never played this kind of game before, I watched the video and it looked interesting but I would be lying if I didn't say that i'm confused about how this game works. Could someone explain the basics of the game so I can have a better idea of how the game actually works before I consider buying it. Thanks in advance and sorry if it is simple to understand and i'm just missing something.

You buy cards and add them to your deck to build your play deck. It really is quite simple, you can read the rulebook on the support page.

I'm really looking forward to getting this game and even having my kids play it. You can even play as a single player where most require a second player to play the game.

The style is different where you are building your deck by purchasing cards or winning combats against other cards, and then later using them after you shuffle the deck. The purchase factor and immediately discarding them allows other players to see how you are building your deck, but not know what is currently in your hand. Focusing on a tactic will allow you to have better chances of drawing those types of cards.

You always want to be able to discard cards and not have them go back to the barracks or neutral discard area, then you are starting over again.

I highly recommend purchasing sleeves for this game because you start w/ 5 (1-gold) cards and 3 (1-cost or lowest level cards). Shuffle and draw 5. From here you either purchase more cards, etc. This means you will be shuffling often until you have a suitable deck after so many turns have passed.

FFG have themselves put up this vid on youtube:

[EDIT:] It is, as I learned, not very good at explaining actual game play. On the Support page on Rune Age's subpage here on the FFG site there is a flash-based kind of "walkthrough" that explains the whole thing quite well in my oppinion.