Questions from a newb about army building:

By CT GAMER, in Dust Warfare

I have not had a chance to read any of the game materials or seen a game/demo, so I am curious if anyone coud enlighten me on hoe forces are constructed?

In particular:

1. I gather it uses a points system . What is the points total of a standard game?

2. Is it possible to field an all mechanized force in DT/DW?

3. Does it have some sort of force org/required units in each force? Are certain units restricted in how many you can field?

I really like the Axis walkers and wqs hoping to build a mechanized company/formation. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

CT GAMER said:

I have not had a chance to read any of the game materials or seen a game/demo, so I am curious if anyone coud enlighten me on hoe forces are constructed?

In particular:

1. I gather it uses a points system . What is the points total of a standard game?

3. Does it have some sort of force org/required units in each force? Are certain units restricted in how many you can field?

I really like the Axis walkers and wqs hoping to build a mechanized company/formation. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Hi.

1. Inside Seelöwe game is around 350 AP for the bigger.

2. yes but the DT campaign is made to limit walkers. Still waiting more news with DW.

3. No. Except for heros. They can field either alone or with a squad. Alone they cannot join a squad later and with one they can leave it when they want but never return with or join an another one.

4. Yes. both sides have the same rules.

But if i can give you an advice wait DW.

You can only have 1 of each hero and only 1 of each Armor Class of Command Squad,

As I said I know nothing about the game at present.

What I want to know is if it is currently possible to field a force of JUST mechs/walkers in DT, and if it isn't, do you think it will be a possability in DW?

I really like the idea of doing some big armored battles with 15-30 mechs per side (sort of like larger scale Battletech)...=)

Another fun idea would be a massive horde of the zombies...

CT GAMER said:

What I want to know is if it is currently possible to field a force of JUST mechs/walkers in DT, and if it isn't, do you think it will be a possability in DW?

I really like the idea of doing some big armored battles with 15-30 mechs per side (sort of like larger scale Battletech)...=)

Yes, you can field all mechs if you want. No rule against that.

And we completely disagree with that being cool. The less walkers, for me, the better. I hope Dust Warfare puts osme sort of cap or ratio on it. Id hate to have this game go down the "he who buys hte most expensive models wins" route.

There are a few missions where you will have to take some infantry units. For example the first mission in Cyclone has the Allied walkers arriving on turn 2. Also in missions where you can bring in a certain number of points each round (often for the Axis) you would be limited to a single walker each round instead of maxing it out with multiple infantry units.

If you are planning on playing kill the enemy to win games then you can take whatever you want and the game will become boring within a few sessions. The campaigns are what make Dust Tactics interesting and fun to play and for them to work you will want some infantry units.

I like walkers, but from my DT games I find it more tactically sound to have a good mix of infantry and armor. Forward infantry will block LOS of your rear guard during attacks, here the walkers still have LOS even if you have forward infantry because of the walkers height. Same thing if you have a mech list, your forward mech will block LOS of you perimeter mechs. Else you can maneuver all your units where they wont block LOS from each other.

CT GAMER said:

BattleTech does have infantry units in the game, but they are more an abstraction (a complicated abstraction if playing with the power armors) that were more an after-thought to 'mech bashing.

In Dust Tactics, the scale is toned down (compared to BTech). It's half infantry and half 'mech and both follow almost the same rules. In all honesty, I beleive an all 'mech force is going to be a poor replacement for the level of detail there is in BTech for 'mechs.

But you do get a lot more variety in Dust Tactics that you don't have in BTech, simply by mixing infantry, power armour and 'mechs / robots at the same scale.

I still have over 1500$ of Battletech materials at home (gathered some 16 years ago during my college years) and i hardly play it nowadays. Everything's made way for Dust Tactics now which is quicker, more brutal and so far a lot less frustrating than BattleTech ever was.

Peacekeeper_b said:

And we completely disagree with that being cool. The less walkers, for me, the better. I hope Dust Warfare puts osme sort of cap or ratio on it. Id hate to have this game go down the "he who buys hte most expensive models wins" route.

Different strokes. You don't want lots of Walkers? Sounds like you don't have to field them.

Notice I didnt say anythign about wanting to know if all Mech was powerful or advantageous? That isn't my motivation, and I assume that it could be a hinderence in some scenarios, bit that doesnt mean it wouldn't look cool on the table.

My thinking has always been tanks can take an objective but you need infantry to hold on to it.

CT GAMER said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

Different strokes. You don't want lots of Walkers? Sounds like you don't have to field them.

Notice I didnt say anythign about wanting to know if all Mech was powerful or advantageous? That isn't my motivation, and I assume that it could be a hinderence in some scenarios, bit that doesnt mean it wouldn't look cool on the table.

Cool is personal perspective. Some people thought the Back Street Boys were cool afterall.

I just would like to have tanks. Pure, simple, tanks. Wouldnt it be cool to see tanks going up against walkers and laserguns? Tansk with plasma guns or phasers?

I plan on fielding between 4-5 walkers in my army at most. I may decide to use a few count as tanks as stand ins for other walkers (like maybe modify a 1:48 German Tank for the heavy walker) and i plan to counter what I expect to be large amounts of walkers from my opponents with Tank Killer squads of which you can field about 2 per walker.

I just wonder what the speed on a tank is going to be? Some of the behemoth tanks or tank-killers were as slow as an infantry man walking, and some were pretty fast. I think a Panther would actually move at a good speed, outclassing walkers and men.

As for Army building, I would like to be able to custom build squads.

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex said:

I just wonder what the speed on a tank is going to be? Some of the behemoth tanks or tank-killers were as slow as an infantry man walking, and some were pretty fast. I think a Panther would actually move at a good speed, outclassing walkers and men.

As for Army building, I would like to be able to custom build squads.

That is a very good question. I suppose I would like to just see a "generic" tank option that has three or four variations you could throw on to it for certain points fees.

Otherwise you would have to go the light, medium, heavy and super heavy route for tanks.

It isnt a huge issue overall, you could easily use a 1-48 (or slightly smaller) tank as a stand in, but the only real flaw with this idea is when it comes to Allied Walkers. After all, you may plan to use the "Allied Special Tank" as a tank and not a walker, but technically it would still have leap. And you never know when you might have to break "theme/character" and have to/want to/decide to use leap to secure the win.

I think, overall, I would just convert a heavy panzer walker into a tank and use as is.Replace the "legs" with treads. 2x2 seems to fit a good sized tank.

Depends on which expansion you use or which game you use. If you play 40k it'll prob be like that where the game varies on the players or the TO. Average seems to be 150-350 for tournaments in Dust Tactics no word on what it is for DW.

It is possible but you still need a minimum 16point Hero. (Saying 16 points bc both sides have their cheapest Hero at 16pts). This is also only in tournament rules. Friendly games you can have as many as you want. Some scenarios limit the number but you can also no go by the rules for the scenario and it shouldnt affect the game that much.

Like I said b4 only requires 1 Hero in tournaments and can have up to 1 Command Squad per armor Value.

Yea you can but again one hero required. My advise if you need that one hero use Rosie shes an anti tank person and she can repair a tank. Also you cannot make indirect shots with artillery if you do not have units with artillery strike. You could take Manfred, Sniper Squad or Spotter Squad, and a Command Squad. So you can repair tanks and call artillery and only have 3 No mech units that would be behind the line of tanks to suppose them. I would divide your tanks with anti troop and anti infantry if I was you.

Reading your comments on various rules ,mechs, etc, the game looks seriously fun, in that it involves as many reallitic features as possible infantry, tanks, soft skins ,walkers and zombies. If Dust Warfare plays out as good, will we see the dangers of not having infantry support for armour etc.? Also how does the game deal with casulties on the battle field and vehiclle crews?