Blood Boil Damage Clarification - Toughness Bonus or Armor Matter?

By Gunslinger_Gaius, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I apologize if this has been answered previously, but is the damage from Blood Boil affected by armor or toughness bonus? The power as written doesn't specifically state that it ignores armor/toughness bonus, but the nature of the damage would seem to indicate that it should. I ask because my GM is a strict RAW sort which would mean that armor/toughness basically make the damage negligible.

Ignores Armor? - Surely. Zero reason why it should help.

Ignores Toughness? - I wouldnt say so, but i can also see why some people would discuss this.

There is one problem with it ignoring toughness... If you get your toughness to 50 it is impossible for your blood vessels/heart/head to explode since it only ever does 5 damage. If there was a variable damage of some kind I could see toughness coming into play, but not the way the damage rule is written now. Also, toughness does not come into play when applying the fatigue except for the Willpower vs. Toughness Opposed Test.

Example

WP 80 Pskyer vs. Toughness 50 Mob

Psyker rolls a 1 and the Mob rolls a 80 giving the psyker 7 degrees of success. This applies 6 degrees of fatigue causing the Mob to pass out, but the last degree of success that should do 5 damage is completely ignored because of the Mob's toughness.

That just doesn't sound right to me.

I dont see a huge problem with letting thoughness work here. The power has a low Overbleed Threadshold so its easy for a Psyker to roll on a number far greater then 100 and getting a huge numbers of successes.

And you shouldnt forget that this power kills as soon as the enemy reaches 0 Wounds.

PS: Gunslinger, in your example the mob would receive 10 wounds damage. You give him one level of fatigue + 1 per degree of success.

Gunslinger_Gaius said:

Example

Psyker rolls a 1 and the Mob rolls a 80 giving the psyker 7 degrees of success. This applies 6 degrees of fatigue causing the Mob to pass out, but the last degree of success that should do 5 damage is completely ignored because of the Mob's toughness.

That just doesn't sound right to me.

Well, the Mob is now out of the fight, and if you really wanted to kill him, it should be a simple matter. If you now were to retry the BloodBoil, the Mob would at the very least get a -10 penalty to his Toughness test for being Fatigued, and arguably more for being knocked out. And now, all the DoS deal damage.

So a T50+ Mob would need 2 rounds to die. Sounds allright?

Fair points all and thanks for the correction on the damage done. The threat being neutralized is the primary goal so that would be accomplished. Darth Smeg, while the mob would have a -10 to its rolls its toughness bonus would still be 5 (I think) which would make it immune to anything blood boil does beyond the fatigue. Not sure why the mob could not just shrug off the fatigue in the same way it shrugs off the damage (they are caused by the same thing after all).

Oh well, I guess this just means there will be fewer exploding heads when you get to the higher tier enemies that have decent toughness stats.

Gunslinger_Gaius said:

Darth Smeg, while the mob would have a -10 to its rolls its toughness bonus would still be 5 (I think) which would make it immune to anything blood boil does beyond the fatigue.

It's 5 damage PER Degree of Success. That racks up quite fast, as this is considered one "attack" and so the TB is subtracted once from the total, not once for every DoS.

Revisiting your example, Example, let the Mob roll 90+ (10% chance, so not unlikely).

Psyker rolls a 1 and the Mob rolls a 90 giving the psyker 8 degrees of success. This applies 6 degrees of fatigue causing the Mob to pass out, the last 2 degrees of success deal 10 damage, 5 is soaked by the Mobs TB, dealing 5 in net damage.

He is not immune, just very, very resilient.

Got it! Now it makes sense. Thanks for being patient.