Possible Other Games?

By Will44, in Star Wars

Does anyone want to speculate on possible other Star Wars games that FFG will put out? I'm hoping for a cool miniature game as well as a new RPG!

I'm really looking forward to a new RPG. A lot of people liked Star Wars Saga Edition but I honestly think that the percentile system used for DH, RT and Deathwatch would be amazing for Star Wars and I think a lot of people would agree that this would be a great step forward for the RPG of Star Wars.

I would like to see a new Star Wars RPG. Something story strong and rules light.

I'd definitely like to see RPG products under the new license.

In the past, electronic resources were said to be barred under previous similar SW RPG licenses apparently because all such e-based products would be required to be produced by LucasArts and thusly not covered by the TCG/RPG/etc... licenses.

If at all possible, I'd love to see official e-published books for the print products, similar to the Pathfinder distribution model. As a GM, it is far easier for me to bring my books to sessions on a laptop or tablet, like I can with Pathfinder. Obviously, as an extension, actual RPG related apps would be a boon as well, so long as they are easy to use and relatively simple, thereby not detracting from the game play experience at the table. I know, I know...I"m getting way ahead of things with these suggestions when the line hasn't even officially announced any products at all, but I think the e-market is worth tapping into to finally make this line successful if it comes to be. I'm sure I'm also upsetting the segment of the hobby that insists scribbling with a pencil is the "proper" and character-building way to really play tabletop games and not be hypnotized by a screen, but they aren't who this suggestion is directed at. This suggestion does not say, "Do not make books," it says, "Make e-books in addition to books." It also does not say, "Make a video game," it says, "Make electronic resource enhancements to make games easier to run and play." I'm not even suggesting a game table here. An electronic character sheet alone would be a tremendous boon. To ignore the potential e-commerce market in this day in age is an action to take at a product line's own peril I think, but that's just one opinion. Note: I didn't say not fully embracing e-commerce to the maximum extent is perilous (it may or may not be); I am just saying that ignoring it could be perilous to reaching the highest potential levels of success.

As for rules systems, I guess I don't have a lot of suggestions there. I've heard people in other forums and in conversation steadfastly wish against the new system coming within extreme sensor range of a d20. I am pretty neutral on the system's particulars, but I will say this about ideas for a d20 type of system if that's what gets used -

Please don't publish DC's for skills or other checks as standard numbers. Let's go back to the days of Simple, Moderate, Difficult, Extreme, and Heroic check ranges where all DCs are charted, as level appropriate if levels are involved, and the GM just decides how hard any given check is. I'm sick of players telling me they should know the DC of a 10 foot jump in a dramatic moment or a tense situation and arguing with me if I try to apply modifiers that they disagree with, especially if they can just look up the stock DC in the standard rulebook. With some of these new rulebooks, I think we don't even need a GM to arbitrate rules because an awful lot of players these days just try to argue to get their way and weak GMs will cave in to a player that can't stand the thought that <gasp!> they might fail a check sometimes. I mean, hey - how awesome did Han look busting that branch while trying to sneak up on that Scout Trooper or incorrectly hot-wiring an extra blast shield closed at the bunker? Not very. But did he stop where he was and moan at length about how the universe had it in for him? No, at worst, he looked shocked at times and said, "It's not my fault," but he persevered after those times without giving up. Sometimes I think we all fall a little too much into nostalgic love with the main characters in this franchise and consider them to be epic and invincible, particularly with the EU portraying them that way more and more often, but in the films a great many of the characters were extremely fallible and anything but invincible. I know it may not sound fun at first, and I'm not saying to make all check DCs impossible and fun-ruining. However, I have had a number of games as GM and player that were far more enjoyable for all after a botched check introduced a complication to the situation. Obviously, a good GM should be able to get through this with players, but anything to make everyone's time at the game table more helpful would be a welcome addition to almost any rules system.

Next up...adventure arcs. This was the piece that was missing with Saga, RCR, and OCR. Yes, they had adventure snippets in many products in Saga, and free downloads in the earlier ones, but they were generally very small and extremely disconnected. Saga also had Dawn of Defiance, which was pretty good considering the one-man show to coordinate a level 1-20 adventure arc in 10 modules (with help from freelancers). Still, because of the limited resources thrown at it, it was good but not as good as it could have been I think. And I don't mean to overlook the contributions of the freelance team that made it happen. I am talking about production value here. I definitely don't mean to rip Dawn of Defiance in any way, but I just think if the previous publisher could have put more resources to it and help the one full time coordinator they had juggling it (amidst his other jobs on that line and others), it would have been even better, to the point of being a product that could be sold for retail. Again, I would look to Pathfinder and what they are doing with adventure paths as an example of how to do this as small products that are interconnected while maintaining moderate to high production value. By tying in the lines and the products to the basic PF materials as well, they seem to also enhance the marketability of those products. But that is just a fan's view of one possible idea.

As has also already been mentioned, integrating the minis and RPG products to some degree would be nice to see.

Lastly, and this may be a bit outside the box for FFG, traditionally... a living campaign would be tremendous. SW definitely has the freelance resources out there that might be able to contribute, and that group has probably even grown slightly in the last few years. I think it is something that could definitely be brought to life.

At the end of the day, having any potential resources for running SW RPG games would be tremendous to see brought to life again. Seeing official games, even just one shots, at conventions again would be tremendous as well. I look forward to seeing what comes.

I second the notion on a cool miniatures game for star wars like dust tactics. Dust tactics is very fun to play and the miniatures are awesome. It would be awesome if they made a coffin box miniatures game for star wars. The possibilities could be endless.

I'd love to see a tabletop wargame based in the Star Wars universe at either a 6mm or 2mm scale (Flames of War or Dystopian Wars respectively, more or less). I would be all over a game that let me and an opponent re-fight the Battle of Geonosis or the Battle of Hoth.

Alternately I'd like to see a minis game along the lines of Necromunda or Mordheim where I have a small skirmish warband that levels up through battles. Taking a Jedi, a smuggler, a couple of clones and a droid or two up against a Sith, a bounty hunter and a handful of battle droids would be a blast.

Problem with minis games right now is that thanks to WotC there are a ton of 25mm scale Star Wars mins out there making the prospect of bringing a minis game of that same scale to market not all that appealing from a for-profit standpoint.

Greetings people!

Someone mentioned the wish of a specific systems that suits perfectlly in SW. Other game editions like D6, D20 or Saga, where pretty good, but where "only" patchs or addons from other systems. Not designed for SW.

An specific system designed for SW univers will be really impressive and trully adapted to SW universe.

Take care people!

PS: One question, anyone here from Wizards Community?

I would love to see a minis game similar to the one WotC did without the randomness. I would be all over that.

It's a shame FFG can't do traditional board games, I would LOVE to see what they would do with the SW license!

I'm anxious to see what they have announced hit the table, and even more excited to see what else they have planned.

Space Based Miniatures game, On the smaller scale would be kind cool in my opinion. Of course I supoprt the RPG as I like all the FFG RPGs I've gotten thus far. I exepct a card game of some sort.

I think FF will make an AMAZING miniatures game that will blow us all away. I am on the edge of my seat for that one.

As for an RPG - I'm very skeptical.

As for new rules - You ever seen a star wars movie where "hit location" mattered? Stormtroopers die if they get shot - in every movie. Will the game capture that sort of one against many sort of "never tell me the odds" combat? I mean - if I can't intimidate twelve stormtroopers by running at them - if I can't shoot a Rodian while distracting him by shooting my mouth off - if I can't hide from an imperial star destroyer in an asteroid belt - if I can't have a decent lightsaber battle with both participants being able to walk away with all our limbs (and once in a while without one) - then as good of a system as anyoen can design - its a bad system for Star Wars.

I mean, you can make the argument that that sort of stuff is up to the game master, but if "feel" is up to the game master, why make another rules system at all? If we're going to justify another system, the system has to support the world as portrayed in the films.

I'm actually highly skeptical that FF will be able to pull off a rules-light system that will work better than the Savage Worlds adaptations that are already available. Don't get me wrong - I'll still buy it (at least the first book), but I am deeply afraid we'll end up with something with a nifty "to hit' mechanic and a lot of combat options - and no ability to actually do what the characters in the movies did.

Sorry to be a "debbie downer" - I pray I'm wrong.

Stilgar said:

I would like to see a new Star Wars RPG. Something story strong and rules light.

Yes friend i am totally agree with you i also like to see rules is quite may be light ......................