Activation question

By LETE, in War of the Ring

Hi

I was wondering:

When exactly does a Nation Activate? I was perousing thru the rules & it seems a bit confusing.

Can a Nation's marker be Passive & still move across the political track or does it need to be activated to do this?

thanks

L

who?

LETE said:

When exactly does a Nation Activate? I was perousing thru the rules & it seems a bit confusing.

A Nation is Activated when one of the following happens:

• One of its Regions is entered by an enemy Army
  • One of its Armies is attacked
  • The Fellowship is declared in a City or Stronghold within the Nation
  • A Companion capable of Activating that Nation moves to a City or Stronghold within the Nation
  • An Event card is played that specifically activates it

LETE said:

Can a Nation's marker be Passive & still move across the political track or does it need to be activated to do this?

Yes, it can move when still Passive, but it can't enter the "At War" space until it's Active.

And it can only drop down with a dice roll or a carde effect? Being attacked or being ivanded by enemy doesn't move it down (by mobving down i mean moving into 'In War')?

These automatically move the marker down:

"• Every time a Nation’s Army is attacked (each battle counts as one
attack regardless of the number of rounds fought). Also, remember that
when a Nation’s Army is attacked, it becomes “Active.”
• Every time a Nation’s City, Town or Stronghold is captured by the
opponent." (p. 16)

So it Activates and Drop down at once, given i was atacked? On the same round?

Yes. A single action can both activate a Nation and move it on the Political Track. In fact, if an Army in a Region with a Settlement is attacked and defeated, resulting in the capture of the Settlement, the defending Nation will be activated and moved two steps on the Political Track. It will move one step for its Army being attacked and the other for its Settlement being captured.

lexblow said:

And it can only drop down with a dice roll or a carde effect? Being attacked or being ivanded by enemy doesn't move it down (by mobving down i mean moving into 'In War')?

Being attacked or having a Settlement captured does move the Political marker one step for each instance. It does not move it all the way to "At War".

Understood.

Thank you everyone, you're really helping!