Could need help to balance a new Map...

By Nimo2, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Well, i had some hours left this week, so i desided to design a new Map for this fantastic Boardgame ;) Its for 6 Players, and for those who know the "standard" board by heart and want something new. The Mapsize is ~ 40x58 cm ( that makes it prinzable on four A4 papers)

The Map:

http://img-up.net/?up=MeineMapJP6ysNV3.jpg (low quality jpg image, about 1,8 MB)

Note:

• This is not finished ! This is just a "beta" for balancing issues.
  • The Red dots represent Starting units (the Martell has no ships, but gets 1 Point more Land units),
  • The town and Fortress Grafics have been replaced. Ignore the other unkown grafics, they are just "details" ;)
  • The "Caves" in the North work like a tunnel, and areas with caves in it can be entered via March, as if they where adjacent (but cannot be raided or supported via Caves)
  • The Pirate Bay, Starfall and Kings landing will have the neutral Garnisons on them (5 or 6 Units)

SO, what i could really need are some balancing comments, as its quite hard for me to figure that out alone. For Example : Areas, Startign ositions, and of Course: in which order should they start on the Influence track...

Interesting map... The Arbor in near to Karhold - I wonder how do they get so sweet wine... Sunspear is next to Moat Cailin - I wonder how did ironmen missed it when they took the last... The Kingsroad doesn't take us to Kings Landing but to Winterfell - why of why did Tyrells helped Lannisters when the Kings Landing was under siege... Oldtown and Harrenhall is so close to each other? - No wonder Arya didn't get to home if that's the case... The Stony fields are no-where next to water - I wonder if ironmen carried their boats to raid there.... Bay of Dorne is only bowshot away from Ice Bay - They were suppose to grow lemons there, You know... And if I recall Greyjoys had no relations with crannogmen. However they also seem to have the power to move their fortresses on water.

And with Schwarze see You mean Black sea?

As for balance I don't see any hardcore stuff that would rig it but I really don't have any idea about the track. I suggest You use the bloody same track as the game and see what comes up. If someone gets too powerful it might be something to do with it (or he/she is just so **** good). Just play it...

The names are just placeholders for now :D I know that they are in the wrong places, but numbering them Area 1 to 30 was a bit boring, so i used names from the old board. I will order them (as far as possible), when all of the balance stuff is done ;)

I'm not sure I agree with each house capital being exactly the same. There should be more variety there, if not w/ different orignal icons then some kind of defensive bonus. For example, the Tyrells have lots of food and money so the Highgarden should have, say, one crown and two barrels. However, since it doesn't sound all that defensible it should only be a one tier city or stay with two tiers but no defensive bonus like a garrison of two unmovable armies in Lannisport or a -1 march on Pyke to show you need a +1 march to be able to charge up the steep trecherous slope and attack but don't get the combat bonus.

And why doesn't Pyke have a port? For that matter, why doesn't the Sunspear have something to make up for not having one? The army placements need more originality too. The Greyjoys are a naval power so they should have more ships. The Starks don't have knights in the book, so they could start with 3 foot instead of 1 foot, 1 knight.

Bitterbridge is a huge advantage to the Tyrells since they get three bonuses from them right off the bat. That needs to change. The east could stand to shrink a bit so the Greyjoys will be more involved and have more options since they're in a poor sea area. If you got rid of the Lagoon that might help .

Pirate Isle looks kind of off. What makes is so special that it has a city, barrel, port, AND a neutral army?

The Narrow/Shivering Seas and the bay should be divided better. Narrow shouldn't be able to reach anything but the Arbor, Ice Bay should more clearly reach Karhold and probably the Arbor, and the Shivering/Bay could be combined. The Bite could be lowered to protect Bitterbridge and therefore the Highgarden.

Also you could have neutral areas more reflective of the book with garrisons, the need for seige engines to attack right away else you can only attack after being adjacent a turn, whatever. The tunnels are interesting but defeat the purpose of having mountains in the first place. Also, I don't see why there's a gate there. It's like an easily penetrable Mordor and won't add much. A neutral army would probably work better.

A little nitpicky here but where is there no water in Moat Cailin?

Still, It's a nice board. Moving the houses around was unexpected and looks like a lot of fun. I'd like too see a rule for the roads too. They could involve a fair bit of strategy.

First of all: Thanks for the feedback :D

I'm not sure I agree with each house capital being exactly the same. There should be more variety there, if not w/ different orignal icons then some kind of defensive bonus. For example, the Tyrells have lots of food and money so the Highgarden should have, say, one crown and two barrels. However, since it doesn't sound all that defensible it should only be a one tier city or stay with two tiers but no defensive bonus like a garrison of two unmovable armies in Lannisport or a -1 march on Pyke to show you need a +1 march to be able to charge up the steep trecherous slope and attack but don't get the combat bonus.

Actually i was planning something like that.

I wanted to give the defending Player on IronBay a +1 Bonus, if the attacker comes from the other side of the Bridge.

Then Widows Watch, the one with the Tower on it, i wanted to make it so, that if you defend/or attack the Shipbreaker bay and Widows Watch, you could Support the Sea with 1 Footman (imagine a large Ballista or something on the tower, helping the Ships ;) )

And why doesn't Pyke have a port? For that matter, why doesn't the Sunspear have something to make up for not having one? The army placements need more originality too. The Greyjoys are a naval power so they should have more ships. The Starks don't have knights in the book, so they could start with 3 foot instead of 1 foot, 1 knight.

Sunspear gets an extra Knight for not having a Port. (the Red Dot with the black point in it) The Problem is, i don´t know any of the Books, so its hard for me to make this storybased :D But i´ll try my best ;)

Bitterbridge is a huge advantage to the Tyrells since they get three bonuses from them right off the bat. That needs to change. The east could stand to shrink a bit so the Greyjoys will be more involved and have more options since they're in a poor sea area. If you got rid of the Lagoon that might help .

Sounds good to me, Lagoon removed ;) And Changed Bitterbridge to 0 supply, instead giving Highgarden 2 Supplies

Pirate Isle looks kind of off. What makes is so special that it has a city, barrel, port, AND a neutral army?

I was planning on giving the Map a special mechanism of "Pirates". Something like that 8not final) : As long as the Island has Pirates on them (neutral 6 Strength Army), Ports don´t give Power (Normaly, you would get one, if you have a Ship on it and a "Gather Power " order. AND whenever the Wildlings attack and win, the Pirates too would come back and take over the Island. And as long as they controll the Island, every "wildling Icon" on the westeros Cards would create (if no player is in it) 1 Pirate ship in the Black Sea, which would support any Armies fighting in the adjacent Areas if they bribe them. (something like a "secret bet" before revealing the housecards...)

The Narrow/Shivering Seas and the bay should be divided better. Narrow shouldn't be able to reach anything but the Arbor, Ice Bay should more clearly reach Karhold and probably the Arbor, and the Shivering/Bay could be combined. The Bite could be lowered to protect Bitterbridge and therefore the Highgarden.

sounds good for me --> done

Also you could have neutral areas more reflective of the book with garrisons, the need for seige engines to attack right away else you can only attack after being adjacent a turn, whatever. The tunnels are interesting but defeat the purpose of having mountains in the first place. Also, I don't see why there's a gate there. It's like an easily penetrable Mordor and won't add much. A neutral army would probably work better.

Starfall is goint to have a neutral Army (5 Troops i think). and the gate had a special purpose in mind too: when attacking Starfall though it (and only in this direction), the defender would get a +1. The caves have a slight advantage: you could attack from White harbor to The Stony Fields in 1 turn.

edit: after 5 minutes of thinking i see your point :D hmmmmm Maybe i remove them, or give them a special ability... Have to think a bit longer ... But still, they have the "advantage" of no support/raid through them

A little nitpicky here but where is there no water in Moat Cailin?

Done, again, i don´t know ANY of the lore yet ;)

Still, It's a nice board. Moving the houses around was unexpected and looks like a lot of fun. I'd like too see a rule for the roads too. They could involve a fair bit of strategy.

Sounds like a nice idea, but for now i have nno idea for that :D Maybee something like a houserule : if you march from a area with connected roads, you can march at -3 a second time into a connected road area... Or you have to ähhhh "wound" (turn them sidewards, don´t know how they called it in englisch) half of them if you march a second time... But in that case i would have to rework the roads a bit... We will see :)

New Version (Something like Alpha 0.6 ) : img-up.net/ http://img-up.net/?up=MeineMapJPQKG4E3Z.jpg

edit: HOW do you quote in this board? i don´t get it...

I'm loving the potential for a sea scramble here. Since Whiteharnour is accessable to Greyjoy I retract my statement that they need a port. Still seems off but since you haven't read the books, no biggie. You should make a legend or something so we can understand the bonuses and such, especially since we can't see why Highgarden has three icons. Like you said, Pyke will get a defense bonus, but that needs to still be shown with, say, a tower icon.

Since the Martells are set up to be more of a land power, I'm wondering if the Dreadfort needs a port. To me it pits Martell and Stark against each other too quickly since Martell's going for a two tier city and Stark will aim for naval dominance. Maybe switch the Fort with the Moat, that way the Martells have easy access to at least one city (Landing no doubt being heavily guarded) where the others have two. It would also make Starfall without immediate conflict.

From there, I also noticed Lannisport is the only area accessable by two sea zones. In the event that Martell and Stark don't try to annhilate each other right off the bat the Lannisters will be targetted by two, possibly three fleets. Tyrell will try to take Sunset and if the Lannisters don't try to stop them, they'll have access to the Lannisport sea zone. If the Starks have Shivering they'll also be able to attack the capital. Same with the Martells, only in that case the Starks could go to Narrow, threatening the Lannister sea zone and borders while Lannisport is under threat from three houses. True, things may not progress that way (Tyrell and GJ might try to crush Baratheon between them) but even the threat of a multi-front naval war could be enough to keep the Lannister player on the defensive.

I'm also curious about the smoking mountain.

img-up.net/ ( http://img-up.net/?up=MeineMapJPWuuHnJ.jpg )

So, i think the map is coming closer to "released" :D

The "house Rules" with this Map:

• Areas with Golden Statues in them (Iron Beach and Kings Landing) get +1 when defending.
  • Bridges can be crossed by landunits, but not by ships (which is important for "ice Bay" and "the shivering Sea", there is no connection for ships between them.
  • Towers (Lannisport and Widows Watch) have the ability, that if you have 1 or more Footmen (not Knights) in this area, one of them (and only one) can "Support" (you need of course an order) the adjacent Sea area. (which would be the Golden Sound and Shipbreaker Bay) Image something like a big Ballista Tower firing at enemy ships. If you use Clash of Kings, and Siege Engines, they have, only for this purpose, a Combat Strength of 2. OR as a optional rule with CoK : Only Siege Engines can do this, with a Combat Strenght of 1. I have to playtest this first, pick your favorite till then :D Personally i think i will go with Variant 2...
  • Caves connect the 3 areas "the Stony field", "Starfall" and "White Harbor" as if they where adjacent. However, you cannot Raid or Support through Caves.
  • The gate in Starfall gives, if the attacker comes through the caves, a +1 for the defender.
  • The Pirate Bay: as long as this Area is "neutral" no "Gather Power" Orders may be played on Ports. When "The Wildlings attack" Card is drawn, and the wildings win, the Pirate Bay becomes neutral again and gets its Garisson Token again. (defeating all Player units on it, they may however retread if possible). On Pirate Bay you can never establish Control, if no Units are present, the Pirates come back immidiatly (Garisson Token comes back) Ships in the Port would be destroyed, i guess ;)
  • Optional Rule : Roads: When marching from an own area to another own area, and those two are connected with a road, you may march a second time (with the same March Bonus) to one single area (own or enemy) connected with a road. If you do so, half of the marching units (rounding up) become routed during the March (which means, they would be routed before the Combat starts in the hostile area)
  • Use the "standard" starting House Cards for the Influence Track.
  • Start Units: If not said otherwise, all houses start with 1 Footman and 1 Knight on their Homeland, and 1 footmen on their second area. On sea areas they start with 1 Ship.
  1. Baratheon : Dragon Stone, Widows Watch, Shipbreaker Bay (2 Ships)
  2. Lannister : Lannisport (home) , Three Towers (second) , The Golden Sound
  3. Stark : Winterfell, Karhold, Ice Bay
  4. Martell : Sunspear (2 Knights), Moat Callin, NO SEA AREA
  5. Greyjoy : Pyke, Iron Beach, Ironmans Bay (2 Ships)
  6. Tyrel l : High Garden, Bitterbridge, The bite

I think that was all. I am going to playtest the map next weekend myself, and after that, i will upload a high-Quality Image of it (this one is just a "small" 2 MB image.) the other will be 15 MB or so (btw: the original is 330 MB in PS :D )

I wasn't sure I liked the three icons on Highgarden only but after a a quick look at opening moves it looks fair. The Lannisters could send their knight to Storm's End to meance Bitterbridge and the Footman to Blackwater to even things up. Baratheon would definately send someone to Duskendale and make Tyrell antsy about that.

The isles look like they could avoid fighting over Summer for a turn or two, but they'll definately clash eventually. The Dornish will be divided b/w keeping the Dreadfort from the Starks and the Marshes safe from GJ, who in turn will want to protect the port. All in all, it looks very well balanced.

The Starks are probably the best defended house since Ice Bay isn't connected to Shivering and only one house is really poised to attack, but their house cards keep match this. The Lannister's could also have a ship in Shivering by the second turn depending on turn order and the GJ's could attack from White Harbour, so there is some threat depending on how things are on their fronts.

I'm wondering if maybe the area between the caves could be Wilding land and require a possible randomized action to pass. For example, fighting the current number of Wildings on the track, paying them off, taking a turn to circumvent them (so stop there before moving on), or requiring a march +1 to get through by intimidation but not getting to keep the bonus for the attack. Having Starfall posseing two gates might increase its tactical importance as well, but then I suppose taking it would be too difficult for the Martells in a free for all or in the event or a Baratheon/GJ truce.

I can't see the map, nor find a place to download anything, just get a crappy pop-up telling me I won 1,000 bucks.

Where do I see the map. preocupado.gif

The Sundance Kid said:

I can't see the map, nor find a place to download anything, just get a crappy pop-up telling me I won 1,000 bucks.

Where do I see the map. preocupado.gif

I can't see the map either :( Currently I am playing 4-6 player games on the fan-made 9 player map.