SoB - Questions (surprise, surprise)

By Edo77, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Greetings,

after quite a few RTL-sessions we decided to start a new Campaign with the Sea of Blood - Expansion (I'm playing . After the first session we there were some questions occuring. Some of them were listed in the FAQ-Update, so I don't bother asking them again. And I've also found some of them answered by doing a search in the forums, which makes me a little bit proud ^^

What remains is this:

1) Could someone please clarify for me, if the amount of potions that can be bought in Gafford are limited to five, as printed on the Map? There seems to be a problem with the translation of Gaffords "flavor text", which states that the heroes can buy as many potions as they want.

2) We were having trouble with our first island-encounter. For example:

a) What happens, when a hero dies, and there were no Glyphs activated. Does the hero stay in town or is the "Revenge" treated as one big glyph?

b) How do traps that require emty spaces (like crushing block) interact with the scrub-fields on the island?

c) The heroes were having a very hard time, chasing the leader of the island. I managed to get through 2/3 of my deck, is this intentional? They weren't making big mistakes, so I was just wondering...

3) I'm a bit confused after reading so many posts, that this game can be a "sure win" for the OL. I'm playing Captain Bones with the plot to free the "Kraken" (translation!?). So this leaves me with many places to siege, but I start with "0" Lieutenants, and I only get the Siren in Copper Level. This, combined with the "Divine Favor", has left me crying and wondering, how I will ever be able to stop the heroes from crushing me... I know, that the "fleeing lieutenant" - issue can be annoying for the heroes, but is it really a matchwinner for the OL, or am I missing something else.

Btw, we were really enjoying the sea-fights and change of things compared to RTL, so I hope we won't get caught in these balance-issues.

Any suggestions of what we can do to improve SoB are welcome :-)

Thanks in advance

Edo

Edo77 said:

1) Could someone please clarify for me, if the amount of potions that can be bought in Gafford are limited to five, as printed on the Map? There seems to be a problem with the translation of Gaffords "flavor text", which states that the heroes can buy as many potions as they want.

You'll need to post the flavour text - it isn't readable in the pdf.
But I am very sure that the Alchenist limit of 5 still applies. Just those 5 cost you 125 coins instead of 250.

Edo77 said:

2) We were having trouble with our first island-encounter. For example:

a) What happens, when a hero dies, and there were no Glyphs activated. Does the hero stay in town or is the "Revenge" treated as one big glyph?

Check the island map carefully. There is a glyph on stern-portside of the Revenge during island levels (no such glyph during encounters).

Edo77 said:

b) How do traps that require emty spaces (like crushing block) interact with the scrub-fields on the island?

Nobody knows. We;ve asked, and hopefully they are now working on one last FAQ which will include it.
For now, I would suggest that scrub is treated as empty terrain for all purposes except the scrub rules.

Edo77 said:

c) The heroes were having a very hard time, chasing the leader of the island. I managed to get through 2/3 of my deck, is this intentional? They weren't making big mistakes, so I was just wondering...

Some islands are harder, yes. Some are very easy. Your heroes perhaps needed to plan better - advancing in a net/ring formation rather than directly chasing the boss perhaps. It isn't possible to say from here. There are major issues with one island where the two booses both have swim and shadowcloak, so if they can get to sea they are virtually impossibly to get at. but I doubt this is the island you are talking about. Some people have had a great deal of trouble with Island - my group has generally found them to be faster and easier than most normal dungeon levels, with the one big exception (and there are normal dungeon levels that were worse than that too).

Edo77 said:

3) I'm a bit confused after reading so many posts, that this game can be a "sure win" for the OL. I'm playing Captain Bones with the plot to free the "Kraken" (translation!?). So this leaves me with many places to siege, but I start with "0" Lieutenants, and I only get the Siren in Copper Level. This, combined with the "Divine Favor", has left me crying and wondering, how I will ever be able to stop the heroes from crushing me... I know, that the "fleeing lieutenant" - issue can be annoying for the heroes, but is it really a matchwinner for the OL, or am I missing something else.

That first one only costs 5 though. And unless you screw up, it can't be killed and cant be chased away (if will be back again the next week after fleeing). If the heroes hang around your bindings area to prevent you breaking the bindings, they will quickly run out of islands/dungeons to gather resources at and then they are stuck, unable to progress while the OL gathers 1 CT a week forever. Eventually they will have to leave your Lt(s) alone to break the bindings. It is basically a race, and they can't win the race by slowing you down, and can't win the race if they ignore you unless you are very unlucky with seige rolls.

But I suggest you just play happily, with the expectation that at same stage the heroes will suddenly discover that they are in an impossibly deep hole that they cannot escape from. Until they figure that out you can have hours and hours of blissful fun. gran_risa.gif

Corbon said:

But I am very sure that the Alchenist limit of 5 still applies. Just those 5 cost you 125 coins instead of 250.

I'm doing my best to translate it:

"The heroes may buy as many potions as the want for 25 Gold each"

In german you can read this as either "You can buy as many potions as you want and they will cost you 25 each" OR "Every potion you buy will cost you only 25 gold". Guess what the heroes decided as how to read this gui%C3%B1o.gif

Can someone please post the original english text? I'm pretty sure it's just a translation problem...

Corbon said:

Check the island map carefully. There is a glyph on stern-portside of the Revenge during island levels (no such glyph during encounters).

D'Ooooh! How can three guys looking at this friggin' map NOT see this... thank you very much.

And thanks for the rest too, I will try to keep my group playing without suffering that much gran_risa.gif

Regards

Edo

I don't have the board directly in front of me, but I play SoB all the time and Gafford states that potions may be purchased there for 25 coins but may not be sold there. I'll post the actual text when I get home tonight.

Edo77 said:

Corbon said:

I'm doing my best to translate it:

"The heroes may buy as many potions as the want for 25 Gold each"

In german you can read this as either "You can buy as many potions as you want and they will cost you 25 each" OR "Every potion you buy will cost you only 25 gold". Guess what the heroes decided as how to read this gui%C3%B1o.gif

Can someone please post the original english text? I'm pretty sure it's just a translation problem...

The english text says "Potions may be purchased here for 25 coins each, although they cannot be sold here."

The translation is flawed. The Alchemist limit remains 5.

or corban can beat me to it ;P

Corbon said:

The translation is flawed.

I thought so, thanks @all

Edo