Quality of Rules.

By mischraum.de, in Rune Age

I like a lot of FFG games. The rule books are always beautiful to look at. But more often than not they make grasping the rules more difficult than it should be. I think they should not only playtest their games but also "ruletest" them. Maybe someone from FFG who cares will read this post.

Storm Sorceress -> Gold -> Pegasus Riders

replied to wrong thread. :)

Yes, you have to read these rules very carefully. Some important things (like refreshing your hand after the Event Phase as well as at the end of every player's turn) are buried in paragraphs.

Then there is the how-do-you-determine-which-Neutral-Cities snafu.

But, after a careful reading, you will be just fine.

Yes, that struck me too. Usually rules of FFG games are really well written (LotR LCG for example), whereas the Rune Age rulebook surprised as it feels like being at some Alpha writing stage. Central mechanisms like Event phase/redraw, neutral cities or starting player/player order are either hidden in paragraphs, scattered around or not fully explained respectively you have to deduce those infos from cards or thinking around the corner.

Nice game, weak rulebook...

Shelfwear said:

Yes, that struck me too. Usually rules of FFG games are really well written (LotR LCG for example), whereas the Rune Age rulebook surprised as it feels like being at some Alpha writing stage. Central mechanisms like Event phase/redraw, neutral cities or starting player/player order are either hidden in paragraphs, scattered around or not fully explained respectively you have to deduce those infos from cards or thinking around the corner.

Nice game, weak rulebook...

Give the Arkham Horror rulebook a read if you want another example of the madness inducing powers of FFG rulebooks.