anyone having success with the elves?

By carbonmatter, in Rune Age

I have tried the elves in all the scenarios except the head to head conflict, and I couldn't get them doing much. Using any of the other races, I can put a lot of cards into play and have success. Either I'm playing the elves totally wrong, or they don't work as well as the other races...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Storm Sorceress -> Gold -> Pegasus

Rune Age has a major weakness of only having one real path to victory per race. A path which is fairly obvious after just a few plays with each race.

It's a shame because the game is a lot of fun up until the discovery of that race's optimal path, but becomes painfully tedious afterwards.

I'm hoping for expansions that adds to the pool a bit to address it's current lack of strategic depth.

So far I've just been playing solo against the basic scenario, and so far I also have had no success with the elves. I sadly tend to agree with the sentiments of the previous commentor. I certainly hope that it gets a bit better with other players, or we do get an expansion to give a bit more options for any given race.

No success with the elves. Trying to find the right path spoken of above. Haven't found it yet. But, I am looking.

For Resurgence of the Dragonlords, the strategy that works for me is to use money to buy Storm Sorceresses and archers to buy strongholds, use those to get the influence to buy all the neutral cards, and then decimate the dragonlords by using influence to hold onto as many cheap units and demons as I possibly can and playing battlecry. It is always pretty close but I haven't lost since I started doing this.

Thanks, Blindspin.

I keep my cards with Influence, but of course, I always have to use them to defend against the Instants. By the time my tough units come around again, Ghox and the two punishing dragonlord instants spell my doom. I need to cull my deck even more, but still, I think I am just getting terrible draws.

no worries:) the instants are pretty brutal. terrible draws happen so try to get a forced march early to start culling as soon as possible. good luck.

Finally beat the Dragonlords with the elves. I think one of the major keys was pointlessly attacking sitting Dragonlords to cull out some of my smaller troops in the mid-game to open my deck up to better draws when it came to the bigger units.

Onto try Waiqar the Undying vs. the Dragonlords.

i have had the most success with elves when I sacrifice them for better neutral units.

DeFrank said:

Storm Sorceress -> Gold -> Pegasus

Rune Age has a major weakness of only having one real path to victory per race. A path which is fairly obvious after just a few plays with each race.

It's a shame because the game is a lot of fun up until the discovery of that race's optimal path, but becomes painfully tedious afterwards.

I'm hoping for expansions that adds to the pool a bit to address it's current lack of strategic depth.

In the non player vs player game I could agree with you but in the Runewars sceanrio and potentially the Monument one as well this is simply not the case at all. It's all about meta-gaming and diplomacy and that is where this subtle little gem of a card game get's it right. The game is about playing the people at the table, which is much more cerebral then just playing the cards on the table like in Dominion or Thunderstone. People are more complicated then inanimate objects. In that sense it's less a Deck Building Game and more of a multi player combat game like Runewars or Risk. It reminds me of Nexus Ops an awfull lot but with hit points for a home realm instead of victory points. Also asymetrical sides which is pretty cool.

The Elves I've seen win the Runewars scenario several times. They seem to be underpowered at first, unless they manage to get some cities. Aquiring cities is key to elven victory. They need the influence to power their cards. This and downplaying your power, which means that the other races might leave you alone a bit more. Diplomacy is key to Elven vicotory, well, any race needs good diplomacy to win really. Unless you muscle your way in with some dragons or something.

The other scenario's I don't really play so I can't say.