recommendations for other games

By pot the ferret2, in Battlelore

I like to have game night twice a week and wanted to add some variety to the selection

no more command and colors games (it's going to take me forever to paint Battlelore) and nothing horribly expensive and collectable (like Warhammer or Magic)

everyone on this forum seems very knowledgeable so what other good games are there? (besides the three I have: Smallworld, Munchkin, and Battlelore)

Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon seem good. On the Euro side there is Agricola, Settlers of Cattan and Olympos are all good games that I have played. If you want something a little heavier try Twilight Imperium. Battlestar Galactica is also a good game with a great twist.

Castle ravenloft and wrath of ashardalon are very good games if you want a quick co-op game. Talisman is also very fun but it could be a bit expensive to get all the expansions that are out for it. Revolution by steve jackson and ticket to ride by days of wonder are both great games.

Last Night on Earth by Flying Frog Productions is hugely fun.

thanks everyone, I'll check them out

Some of my favourite games are:

Fairy Tale (A small 2-5 player card game by Z-Man Games - lots of little effects - fun)

Carrom (A flicking game somewhat similar to pool, but with flicking - Indian Carrom btw - the American Carrom Boards are rubbish)

Neuroshima Hex (A tile laying battle game - like a knife fight in a phone booth)

Condottiere (The original version (prior to FFG's version) is the best one imo)

Agricola (My wife an I enjoy playing this one together a lot)

Starfarers of Catan (sentimental favourite - always with Daft Punk playing in the background )

Rivals of Catan (two player card game - I like it a lot)

If you're a fan of Lord of the Rings then I think War of the Ring is the best LotR game to hit the market.

If you're a fan of science I also like Erosion, American Megafauna, High Frontier and other games by Phil Eklund - but they are more an experience game than a balanced game - and the rules can be highly obtuse.

If you're interested I have rated and commented on all the games I've played on www.boardgamegeek.com My username is caradoc there.

Here's a link to my rated games if you're interested: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/caradoc?comment=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Cheers,

Giles.

559 reviews? Take me a while to go through all that - lol . . . but the games you said your wife likes is helpful since my ever-ready playing partner is my long-time girlfriend (source of pride and shame which she kicks me and my gaming buddies butts all the time)

My wife kicks my butt at Battlelore regularly - so I'm very lucky (I suppose llorando.gif )

We both also enjoy Rivals of Catan, Agricola, Fairy Tale, Zooloretto, Stone Age, and so on.

Cheers,

Giles.