Descent expansions now??

By odde_dario, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

It hasnt been one month that we started playing descent and now a revised second edition is about to come out.

I'm not complaing here, I'm not saying oooooh I've been robbed if only i knew!
Considering the game is coming out next year if I knew I still would have bought first edition.

The thing is I was about to buy expansions for 1e, in fact I was about to buy one this very week, and now the idea they're somewhat outdated is putting me off.
I was planning on getting the first expansion and then get RtL which is really what I wanted to play from the start

buying the first expansion could still be a good idea, to have a wider variety of monsters and abilities... but Rtl??
If 2e has a built in campaign mode... shouldnt I invest on 2e later, and 2e expansions??

Really enthusiastic RtL reviews were the reason I got descent in the first place...

Any advice from old players?

I have been playing Descent for many years now, have all the expansions and all the little extra things (LT models and SoB map) I have really enjoyed playing the game and am not sorry about all the money I have dumped into the game.

With the announcement of a second edition, I am still not sorry for the investment I have made. After reading some information about 2e, I can tell that it will be a different game, different enough to feel like a new experience. And with the planned conversion kit, I know that all the 1st edition stuff I have can be used as well.

My advice to you my friend, if you have the money, don't feel bad about getting all the expansions for first edition. You will still have a blast with the game. And when the second edition comes out, you will still be able to use most of the stuff you already paid for :)

Severino said:

buying the first expansion could still be a good idea, to have a wider variety of monsters and abilities... but Rtl??
If 2e has a built in campaign mode... shouldnt I invest on 2e later, and 2e expansions??

If I were in your position, I would definitely pick up the vanilla expansions for 1e. Well of Darkness, Altar of Despair, and Tomb of Ice. The monsters and hero figs will be useable in 2e with the conversion kit, and the tiles and other components will surely be fuel for fan-made projects eventually.

Road to Legend or Sea of Blood I might be a bit more hesitant about. The only things that are likely to transfer well are the tiles (probably only for homebrew content the fans make) and POSSIBLY the LTs, if they have stat cards in the conversion kit (which they might not.) The LTs can be purchased separately from the rest of RtL by buying the metal minis FFG has been putting out, after you know for sure whether or not there are stats for them.

On the other hand, RtL seems to be hard to find these days, and with 2e on the horizon, it might not be getting reprinted after all. If you know of a copy nearby you might want to snap it up. Even if you only end up being able to use it with 1e.

I dunno. I probably wouldn't bother with the ACs in your position myself, but that's just me. My best advice would be to follow your heart.

Jonny WS said:

I have been playing Descent for many years now, have all the expansions and all the little extra things (LT models and SoB map) I have really enjoyed playing the game and am not sorry about all the money I have dumped into the game.

With the announcement of a second edition, I am still not sorry for the investment I have made. After reading some information about 2e, I can tell that it will be a different game, different enough to feel like a new experience. And with the planned conversion kit, I know that all the 1st edition stuff I have can be used as well.

My advice to you my friend, if you have the money, don't feel bad about getting all the expansions for first edition. You will still have a blast with the game. And when the second edition comes out, you will still be able to use most of the stuff you already paid for :)

Absolutely +1!

Ok then, I'll buy the first two expansions and see where we go from there...

Coincidentally, I'm just now putting those first two expansions up for sale...

Hi Trump, where are you selling them?

The only ones I miss are Altar of Despair and Well of Darkness (appart from LT's)

Also, anyone selling all LT's?