Just Getting Started - Buy 1e or not?

By Svenn, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I've been meaning to pick up Descent for quite some time and just haven't gotten around to it. I just wandered onto the site and noticed the second edition.

My question is would it be worth purchasing all the first edition boxes or should I just wait for the second edition? I noticed the conversion kit for converting some minis, but is it worth buying the old sets just for this?

The game is slated for next year, so you do have several months to enjoy the 1st edition game before it comes out. With the conversion kit, your 1st edition character and monster figures would still be usable. So, I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from playing 1st edition.

With that said, the new version is close enough that I would wait if I didn't already have the old version. I've had many many hours of fun with 1st edition Descent over the last several years, but the game is not without it's flaws. From the 2nd edition description, it sounds like those flaws are being addressed along with a number of other enhancements and changes.

It will be a completely different game. If you've got friends that will still play the original stuff, it is more than worth getting. I know I'll still be playing it. I've go so much stuff for it and my friends and I are just barely scratching the surface. I'm just glad the new version will support all the figures I have.

Hmmm, if the second edition is going to be that much different I might want both just to try each one out. Anyone know if they are discontinuing the first edition after second edition releases?