Card Worth

By Broadway_Punk, in Hollow Bastion

Card shops and on-line stores have prices set to rip you (the customer) off and to earn them a profit. For purposes of personal transaction, including trades:

Is there a reliable source to determine a cards value?

trollandtoad.com has good prices. Other then that, maybe the magazine "beckett".

Broadway_Punk said:

Card shops and on-line stores have prices set to rip you (the customer) off and to earn them a profit. For purposes of personal transaction, including trades:

Actually, I would never use the term of ripping off. Stores have to earn profit or else why would they be in business. First lesson of business. If no one made profit, how would FFG make profit to support games and to keep their shareholders happy. A box listed at $95 before taxes divided by 24 packs is about 3.95 a pack. They list the pack at 4.95 to earn a 25% profit on the pack. Even on trades, they must also be in a situation where they can turn a profit, or a trade is no use to them. You are not going to get the better trade on the store because they still need to earn profit on that single. You also gotta remember that that store also has expenses that must be covered. If they only charged you what they paid, they would never be able to pay their expenses thus going out of business. Also, genreal price is set out by FFG for boosters, while single prices is usually set out by the demand for the card. If you are worried about card prices, look around at local stores and see what they will cost you. I know at one time I was getting packs here in Ontario for about 3.95. Don't know if I will get that again at the price of the dollar. As for card singles, whatever a book like becket might say, you might get 50-75% of the value, as long as the card is in mint condition. If anyone would like to back me up on what I have said, go for it, or prove me worng.

If you don't want to be "Ripped" off as you say, shop around for the best deal, and trade with other players since will probably get a better trade than that with a store. Also, remember, people are in business to make money, or they wouldn't be in business and we would probably be back to the barter system.

Hope this helps as a life lesson, a lesson about learning about business in general, a lesson in the market behind card games, and a better view of the world in general.

Ebay, the only true way to figure out what anything is worth

I'd put Uncommon worth at $1.00 (dependant on the card), Rares somewhere 'round $3-$5 and SRU's, at most, $20. Promo's...well after the 31st of January I'd value them a little more again, but I'd still never pay more then $20 for a piece of cardboard and plastic

that's devilmonkey's mental price list for ya

Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto said:

Broadway_Punk said:

Actually, I would never use the term of ripping off. Stores have to earn profit or else why would they be in business. First lesson of business. If no one made profit, how would FFG make profit to support games and to keep their shareholders happy. A box listed at $95 before taxes divided by 24 packs is about 3.95 a pack. They list the pack at 4.95 to earn a 25% profit on the pack. Even on trades, they must also be in a situation where they can turn a profit, or a trade is no use to them. You are not going to get the better trade on the store because they still need to earn profit on that single. You also gotta remember that that store also has expenses that must be covered. If they only charged you what they paid, they would never be able to pay their expenses thus going out of business. Also, genreal price is set out by FFG for boosters, while single prices is usually set out by the demand for the card. If you are worried about card prices, look around at local stores and see what they will cost you. I know at one time I was getting packs here in Ontario for about 3.95. Don't know if I will get that again at the price of the dollar. As for card singles, whatever a book like becket might say, you might get 50-75% of the value, as long as the card is in mint condition. If anyone would like to back me up on what I have said, go for it, or prove me worng.

If you don't want to be "Ripped" off as you say, shop around for the best deal, and trade with other players since will probably get a better trade than that with a store. Also, remember, people are in business to make money, or they wouldn't be in business and we would probably be back to the barter system.

Hope this helps as a life lesson, a lesson about learning about business in general, a lesson in the market behind card games, and a better view of the world in general.

Okay, thanks for the business lesson, but that's not quite what I meant. I realize that stores must make a profit, but the issue (I'll say again) is when it comes to personal trades or transactions. A store will buy a card from you at half price and sell it for double, but that does not help ME to determine how much a card is really worth. I don't want to trade a card worth $10 to someone for a card that is only worth $8, nor do I want to be the person on the other end who is unknowingly stealing . That's not the way I roll.

P.S. Those sites would have been helpful for other games, but not this one (at least, I didn't see them). Any other suggestions?