Book only?

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dust Warfare

My biggest question is if this will only be available as a book or will they also make it available in a box set, so you can get a few minis with it as well.

It will probably just be a book. I think i prefer if its just a book.

I'm pretty sure it is just the book- they already have the Dust Tactics box sets as an entry level for new players.

-Will

wminsing said:

I'm pretty sure it is just the book- they already have the Dust Tactics box sets as an entry level for new players.

-Will

Yes and no. Dust tactics is a different game. I would like to see the option as a book and a option of a box set.

It makes no sense to force TT players to get Dust Tactics as a requirement (they might not want the DT rules and tiles). It makes perfect sense to buy DT for the minis, terrain, dice and discount value, but forcing people to buy a $60 game and a presumably $40 book for a starter set is kind of silly, when they could have a Dust Warfare boxed set with 30 minis and 2 walkers for $75 for the new only interested in TT rules/play crowd. Plus a perfect way to bring back Sigrid and Joe.

Way I see it, my friend, is that the revised Core Set was designed for this purpose...since it includes no tiles! (only a poster)

Yes, it will inlcude a DT revised rulebook, but you could consider it a freebie, since most probably we wil be able to donload it for free. Meanwhile it will be new customer´s choice to either buy the carboard tiles and updated card pack if he wants to play DT, or the D:W rulebook if he prefers TT.

I dare say that future new faction sets (Vrill, SSU) will have this same standard (small rulebook, poster tile and minis) instead of the DT original starter set standard.

What do you think?

im hopeing this book will have a good back ground / time line in it

Look at it this way

With how the single unit boxes are priced any DT content that is not compatible with DW is basically cheap or free. aside from the campaign heroes i dont see anything to complain about.

Buying the units for the original base box costs about 200 if you buy them as unit boxes (note you don't get heroes but you do get extra mech/ troop options)

one thing to consider is what kind of extra equipment will be used to play DW, do we need new unit cards? rulers? tokens?

I'm expecting just the book. But between now and then I am buying and painting my armies and looking forward to the release of Dust Warfare.

I have my box and love it. If I didn't have I would buy it. Like said above for the price of the minis everything else is a freebee. Can't wait for this book to come available.

I think Aldarion has the right of it- the Revised Core Set IS the Dust Warfare starter- the Dust Tactics rules are basically just a 'quick start' rules for the set, for all intents and purposes.

-Will

Exactly! It´s no coincidence that it´s all being launched and announced on the next GenCon.

Also it´s the redesign of the game marketing done by FFG, since the original boxes were produced and to be marketed by AEG with a different company mentality.

Revised and DW are something like DT v2.0, in my opinion.

Hope DT really becomes massive in audience and competes with WH40K!

I don't think it could really be a 40k competitor, more like another game folks can play. GW is just too big. I could see it being like warmachine or flames of war as far as popularity goes. The hardest part is gonna be getting my friends to want to play, so having 2 armies from the DT sets will help there, and then I just gotta hope they want to start their own army instead of knowing they can always use one of mine :) I think in general a lot of folks don't want to invest $500 in a new army for a game they think not enough people play. (I know a DT / DW army won't cost $500, but because of 40K a new player will probably think that's the case at first)

The game will have more appeal and more chance of "competing" with 40K once they finally get a few extra forces out and enough "sub" forces for people to have differing armies.

Once we get the Sino-Soviets and the Vrill and rules for Majestic 12 your friends who currently only sponge your non-used force (Axis or Ally) may go "oooh Russians" and there you go.

And once there are enough forces so I can do a "all Brit" or "Mainly Brit" Ally force or to differentiate from Blutkreuz and other German/Axis/Japanese/Italian forces.

Which is another reason I think the game (Both Dust Warfare and Dust Tactics) would benefit from normal troops/tank options.

The revised core set doesn't contain any tiles? Interesting to hear.

Dust wouldn't be able to compete with 40K, as that game is too big to take on. Dust can certainly stand up as a great game in its own right if they manage to take the confusion out of things - FFG Dust vs Dustgame.com models, differing scales on Dustgame.com models and the like.

Needs more than two forces at the moment as well, but we'll see what happens later this year in respect to that.

DW could certainly stand to gain from the 40K people looking for something different though. Especially as Andy Chambers name is involved.

I think the revised core comes with posters you fold out, instead of tiles. Guess they're trying to save money that way. At $80 though it still seems like a great deal for a bunch of models, even though the old core set was a better deal. Going forward I think it would be cool to see the Dust warfare book bundled with a bunch of models, but different stuff than what comes in the Dust tactics core.. so people could buy one of each and get a nice army when you combine the models from both.

I doubt they will bundle the book with models. The book only option is the best way to go. From the onset I think most DW players will come directly from DT and will already have a good amount of minis.

DoctorDH said:

I doubt they will bundle the book with models. The book only option is the best way to go. From the onset I think most DW players will come directly from DT and will already have a good amount of minis.

That is true. But if I have never played and suddenly wanted to. It would be $50 for the core book and then about $70 for a bundle of miniatures. Or if you get it cheap somewhere, $50 for the bundle. That is a $100 buy in. Overall not too shabby. Go in it with a buddy and its reasonable.

But still, make a new box set for Dust Warfare, throw in 3 squads, 2 walkers and a hero and you would newbies and oldies buy it alike.

Book only... I never got the impression it would be released in any other format. Or at least, the if it is the book will be available by itself in addition to any bigger sets.

I also beleive it's *only* a book.

I prefer it that way, but in any case, i wouldn't mind having extra goodies if it was more than a book.

More dices are always good,

Some terrains thingies maybe?,

A couple of new heroes?

Might come in a book only purchase and an alternative book bundle (dice, templates and a couple of minis) for those totally new to the game or those who want to expand. Perhaps new heroes specific to a faction.

D.Azriel said:

Perhaps new heroes specific to a faction.

Oh, lets hope not. Then some of use will have to buy many books... One for the rules and one for each faction bundle... NO!!! PLEASE NO!!!!!