pursuit and gain ground question

By pot the ferret2, in Battlelore

You're considered in battle when your adjacent, right? So am I correct in assuming that you can't gain ground or make a pursuit if you make one enemy unit retreat if your unit is still adjacent with another enemy unit. The cav unit can still make a bonus attack, but has to use it on the enemy unit that it's stlll adjacent with.

you are correct

you cant quit melee attack

pot the ferret said:

You're considered in battle when your adjacent, right? So am I correct in assuming that you can't gain ground or make a pursuit if you make one enemy unit retreat if your unit is still adjacent with another enemy unit. The cav unit can still make a bonus attack, but has to use it on the enemy unit that it's stlll adjacent with.

Battlelore has no zones of control or a concept of your stuck in melee with adjacent enemy units. If your cav makes an enemy unit retreat but you are still adjacent to another enemy unit that doesn't stop you from pursuing. Look at page 28-29 it covers pursuit actions. It even has a picture of a cavalry unit pursuing an enemy while adjacent to a different enemy unit. It works the same for infantry gaining ground being adjacent to a different enemy unit doesn't stop them from moving forward.

Hope that helps.

I was playing it the "correct" way until a gaming buddy told me you can't quit melee attacks . . .

thanks for the quick response

pot the ferret said:

Just to clarify a few things with what the other folks above have said.

First, only the attacker may gain ground and/or pursuit on a retreating/defeated enemy. A defender may NEVER gain ground.

Second, if you are attacking and the unit you attack does retreat, you MAY be able to gain ground and/or make a pursuit, depending on the terrain you are in and going to. (plus your movements that turn as well..i.e. Terrain might effect being able to gain ground or not!!)

Lastly, if a cav unit is next to 2 enemy units and attacks one and that defender is eliminated and/or retreats, you must move the cav into the vacating square and then 1 extra more move, if you want. The key is that you have to enter the vacating square/hex. Again, terrain determines if the cav can attack a 2nd time, etc etc.

Do look in the manual..there are some excellent examples and hopefully clarify any issues as well. If not, ask away and we'll try to clarify.

Cab

thanks Cab

I missed the rule that says "even if you are attacking and your opponent retreats, you still can do gan ground and pursuit+attack(if possible)...
That could end my gameplay even faster ;-)

I was playing another portion of games , with my wife and couple of girl friends ;-), and it was very funny.
After couple of scenarios the game runed smoothly.