Russian ability

By Lammert, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Seems I can't find the answer, but my wife and I had a discussion about the stealing tech-part

a) Is it allowed to steal a tech no matter which turn you are in (e.g. start of turn you can steal a tech to)? Cause the ability doesn't state a turn, only once per turn.

b-1) Is the outskirt considered to be part of the city to steal a tech? Cause normally you can't enter a city without going to battle.

b-2) If b-1 is answered yes: Can you steal a tech with "capturing" a enemy scout? Cause the scout would be considerd to be an outskirt

Quoted from the Russian card: "Once per turn, the Russians may move an army or scout into an enemy city and sacrifice that figure to research a tech known by that civilization for free. Armies sacrificed this way cannot also attack."

The way I interpret and play Russia, is that I have to move a figure into a city (not the outskirts) and then I must sacrifice that figure to research a free tech, otherwise battle is triggered if an army moves into a city. Scouts cannot move into an enemy city, according to pg. 20 "Friendly and Enemy Units" with exception to the Russian rule.

Thnx civBob,

Cause that's the way how I read it too, but my wife seems not convinced by it. (She played Russia)

Anyone else share this opinion or think otherwise?

Thanks in advance

When Russia moves an army figure into a city they have the option of stealing tech or starting a battle.

Lammert said:

Thnx civBob,

Cause that's the way how I read it too, but my wife seems not convinced by it. (She played Russia)

Anyone else share this opinion or think otherwise?

Thanks in advance

what is her problem with that ? the russian player board says it clearly...