Battle Cry

By Interceptor2, in Battlelore

Maybe there's nothing new for BattleLore (and there probably won't be again in my opinion), but Hasbro is re-releasing Richard Borg's Battle Cry. If you're not familiar with this title, Batle Cry is an American Civil War battle game in the command and colors system, very similar to BattleLore (just without the medieval and fantasy theme). The re-release is being called the Battle Cry 150th Anniversery of the Civil War edition. Looking at the game and reviews of it, the game looks awesome. It includes a mapboard and cards and terrain tiles very similar to BattleLore, and tons of miniatures to represent the Union and Confederate forces. Also, the game comes with a whopping 30 scenarios, covering a huge range of major Civil War battles, from the beginning of the war to the end. Looks very cool to me, and from what I've read, Hasbro is planning to release expansions to this game if sales are good. If you're looking for a game similar to BattleLore, and one that is actively being supported, this might be the answer. Here's a link to the game on boardgame geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/88827/battle-cry-150th-civil-war-anniversary-edition

Hasbro is aggresive with the board games lately. Battle Cry and Battlefleet Galaxies...

nice

I wouldn't call battlelore out just yet and I don't think that battle cry would be a suitable replacement. First of all it's just historical so that greatly limits the amount of expansions they could put out for it. Also there's no system to build your own armies and I don't think there ever will be (even if there was I don't think I'd be interested in that sort of thing for battle cry).

While Battle cry is a good game I'd hardly use it as a replacement for my main battle board game. If I ever was looking for a replacement because battlelore is no longer supported I'm not sure what would even do a good job of replacing it because to me there's no game out that I know of that captures the fun, fantasy, strategy, and immersive feeling that battlelore has. And no other game fills me with wonder at the possibilities that this game has and I would hate to not see all the possibilities. So I hope with all my hope that battlelore continues to recieve support.

KingofBlades,

I see your point. Battle Cry certainly is not for everyone...just a game some might like to play now and then if they want something different from the medieval fantasy theme. I'm real big on the medieval stuff personally. I played Tide of Iron for a while, but I then sold it all. It was a great game and lots of fun, but WWII is just not my cup of tea. Give me swords shields and axes anyday.

I have a lot of bigger painted and pre-painted miniatures with some very cool mapboards to play skirmish type fantasy battles (much smaller scale battles than BattleLore, but with characters that are more diverse). I was looking for a good set of rules to play games of this nature, and I found this awesome set of miniature wargame rules on-line. The're designed for any scale, so you could use your BattleLore miniatures with this set of rules, too. Just a suggestion:

http://songofblades.blogspot.com/

I did hear about this re-release, but does anyone have dates/dollars/etc info. Been busy of late and not trying to re-invent the wheel. I bet there is a link out there (yeah, I know FFG site bites when you type in a link!)

Thanks

Cab

Caboose said:

I did hear about this re-release, but does anyone have dates/dollars/etc info. Been busy of late and not trying to re-invent the wheel. I bet there is a link out there (yeah, I know FFG site bites when you type in a link!)

Thanks

Cab

The 150th anniversary has been out for awhile now. I got it for $42 at www.coolstuffinc.com. I have yet to play it against an actual opponent but the game I played against myself was a lot of fun and once again Richard Borg is able to capture the feel of another time period with his versatile C&C system. In other words I like it a lot. It is the most simple of his games but still a lot of fun. My only complaint is that the miniatures don't feel like they were made from very good plastic and the sticker banners don't stick so well. Other then that it's another fantastic game by Mr. Borg.

TheKingOfBlades said:

Caboose said:

Thanks

Cab

The 150th anniversary has been out for awhile now. I got it for $42 at www.coolstuffinc.com. I have yet to play it against an actual opponent but the game I played against myself was a lot of fun and once again Richard Borg is able to capture the feel of another time period with his versatile C&C system. In other words I like it a lot. It is the most simple of his games but still a lot of fun. My only complaint is that the miniatures don't feel like they were made from very good plastic and the sticker banners don't stick so well. Other then that it's another fantastic game by Mr. Borg.

Thanks..I'll have to look it up and hopefully put it on my growing list of games to get. Most of Borg games are good (rarely are they not!)

Cab