How does it compare to other games?

By judob0y, in Chaos in the Old World

I really loved Starcraft Board game and Dust Tactics, and i was looking for something a little different, so i started looking around and warhammer boardgames caught my eyes.

Was wondering how the feel of this game compared to other i know of. Also, would you recommend this one or SpaceHulk first?

Thanks

Oy!

forgot to mention Horus Heresy too, should i get that one?

I haven't played any of those games except Space Hulk (the board game and the card game), but I can't speak highly enough about Chaos in the Old World. Its a game that can get all types of gamers interested, has 4-5 diverse and balanced powers, and almost always seems to be a nail-biting race to the finish.

My experience with Space Hulk was rather poor. I was introduced by someone bad at teaching who had never played it with anyone else. The instructions seem to do a poor job at teaching, sadly a bad trend among hobby games.

On that front, Chaos definitely took some dancing to really get it. The basics were there, but we had to frequently correct our procedures. I'd like to call it a heavy weight game (complex), except I'm told there are far harder games out there. It's definitely not something to try without serious exposure to other hobby gaming. However, it is quite well balanced. It has the feel of a war game simultaneously with simply developing yourself. I've even played a game where we managed to ruin a region within a single round! I disagree with the nail-biter, though. Of course, leaving anyone alone for a single round can make them incredibly powerful, but we've had many games where it was effectively decided for 1or 2 players with 1 or 2 rounds left before victory. A common example of this is Khorne having 2 dial advances to victory while everyone else has 4+. One person would have to achieve more dial advancements than anyone else, including Khorne, for both of the rounds (you can only get 2 advances per round, going to whoever was best at advancement), a tremendous challenge given how powerful Khorne is at that point. Even more, once one of those rounds is accomplished as such, the other players are effectively delegated to "kingmaker" status. I really hate that.

Still, a very enjoyable game. With Khorne, luck plays a role similar to what I've seen in Catan. Without Khorne, it's a much more intellectual game as Nurgle's the only significant beatstick left. Without him and with the Horned Rat, players have no more than 4 figures that can attack (out of 10, 12, and 15-figure sets). The game is really different every time based on who's playing, how the cards go, and how the dice figure. It's very intellectually stimulating, and appeals to all my favorite gaming aspects.

Wall of text. Clearly I am bored.

I honestly can't praise Chaos In The Old World enough. I find it has a nice level of detail to it in term of the quality of the components (as with all FF games) but the real devil is in the way that YOU choose to play it. With having four play styles available ( Five if you count Horned Rat) there is room to satisfy most gamers. The base rules are wonderfully simple compared to most games but the real joy comes from the way that the chaos power cards interact with each other and capture the character of your chosen god. I personally think there is a high level lof re-playabilty to this game and certainly enough room to develop strategies for your favourite god.