Question about broken chains - carrion hunters going to the lower decks

By player590376, in Black Crusade

It mentions the Carrion Queen sending hunters to the lower decks for food and prisoners. But how do they get back to the upper deck if they can't go through the sanctum gate?

I believe there would be at least a few shortcuts and secret passages on the ship, too small for PC's but just of a right size for deranged abhumans to squeeze through. These are probably unknown for general population of the ship, but the most vicious and successful hunter packs can have access to them. You know, like the 'secret lore' passed on from the pack leader to its successor, or the secret map carved on the palms of the pack members, only accessible if their hands be placed together in a certain fashion... Something like that.

Or the above-mentioned hunters could be just the unluckiest idiots aboard the ship, having stumbled beyond the Gate by mistake, and now unable to return. It's your choice happy.gif

BTW, try getting your hands on "Manhunt" (1st part) and "Condemned" computer games. The former shows just what kind of atmosphere should be aboard the Broken Chains (and provides a few funny adventure seeds as well), and the latter has an episode dedicated to a derelict metro station, which is priceless when it comes to thinking up just what are the Carrion, how they live and look like.

...or it is just one of the minor mistakes that happen if somebody tries to write something quickly =0)

Which is what I believe it is.

200 years derelict in the warp I'm sure some structural damage is going to happen along the 1.5 km's and allow small abhumans to crawl through. Or maybe they've made a ladder or rope of some sort to ascend and descend various ducts. A GM can probably figure something out if the party doesn't want to use the Gate, which was probably the only real way prisoners and captors could move between the decks when the ship was functioning properly.

Gregorius21778 said:

...or it is just one of the minor mistakes that happen if somebody tries to write something quickly =0)

Which is what I believe it is.

That's what I figured. I thought about it, and maybe the Carrion Queen lets them back through?

Nice easy solution that. The Queen has a key that works from the other side. Makes for a fun ritual of returning to the upper decks for the hunting parties, cements the queens power, and gives the PC's one other way through the gate... gate-crashing that party!

I just had the hunters crawl through airducts that were obviously too hazardous for Bore and Nina (she didn't want to anyway) - the only two humans in the group.

I had a huh?! moment when I read the adventure as well. But I also came up with an answer similar to our compatriots below. It could also be one of the ways the Queen became Queen & keeps the throne.

Hygric said:

Nice easy solution that. The Queen has a key that works from the other side. Makes for a fun ritual of returning to the upper decks for the hunting parties, cements the queens power, and gives the PC's one other way through the gate... gate-crashing that party!

Sincerely;

Dracurian

8-)

Alternatively, the problem could be the PCs themselves. The PCs need the authorization of the warden to pass through the gate, but when the ship was operating, the warden mainly sat in his watchtower rather than spending his days ferrying his subordinates through the gate. Why is that? Because the Sanctum's Cogitator is somewhat intelligent - any guard can use his authorization mark to move through the Sanctum Gate and take a few of the normal prisoners "upstairs", but only the warden (and other important persons like Crane and Ruthor) can authorize the transfer of the high security prisoners.

Thus, the Carrion Hunters only need a normal guard's "key" (more likely a chip implanted in his skull, because it wouldn't be 40k if no skulls were involved) to pass through the gate while the PCs have to get a higher clearance.

Cifer said:

it wouldn't be 40k if no skulls were involved

Completely off topic, but would you mind if I sig'd it?

Not at all - go right ahead.

Thanks! It shall remain in my signature, and my memory, for as long as I don't get bored with it ;)