why a d8?

By ClanNatioy2, in Battles of Westeros

They could have used a d6 and gotten the same results.

You would have one red shield, one blue shield, one green shield, a flag, a valor, and a miss

You would just have to play that a red shield hits red, blue, and green units a blue shield hits blue and green units and a green shield just hits green units. This still equals 4 sides hitting green units (as long as you hit on valor symbols) 3 sides hitting blue units and 2 sides hitting red.

This would make things die a bit quicker but I think it might be interesting to try. I find it very frustrating when heavy armor units take more hits because they are wearing heavy armor. Also it's very difficult for a foot unit to do any damage to a cavalry units. This brings the chance of a foot unit hitting a cavalry unit with one dice from 12.5% to 16.7%

The only problem is that it makes green units even more fragile.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

They could have used a d6 and gotten the same results.

This would make things die a bit quicker.

So it would not be the same result. The intent is that we use a d8, and it comes within the box, so why trying something else? I suppose thats why you got no reply.

I find it very frustrating when heavy armor units take more hits because they are wearing heavy armor.

Could you clarify this? Heavy armors take less hits.

Also it's very difficult for a foot unit to do any damage to a cavalry units. This brings the chance of a foot unit hitting a cavalry unit with one dice from 12.5% to 16.7%

You are talking about red cavalry, not "a cavalry". Green cavalry dies a lot.

The only problem is that it makes green units even more fragile .

It makes everybody more fragile.

When I said they would have the same results I just meant that both dice would have 3 sides that hit green 2 that hit blue and 1 for red plus one valor hit symbol. Not that they would play the exact same way.

My green units with heavy armor seem to die faster then my regular green banner units. This happens when an attack rolled against the green heavy armor unit rolls more blue shields then green shields so the unit took more damage because it was wearing heavier armor. Maybe I just have bad luck but heavy armor just does not work for me.

Yes I did mean red calvary.

And yes it does make everybody more fragile but I was more concerned with green units because they are already very fragile.

I really wanted to like this game but it just have too many things that really bug me. Red units just murder anything in front of them (I know you don't get many red units but when you have one it is just way too powerful). Red calvary is even more ridiculous and if you are fighting rob stark he's almost impossible to stop.

I found flanking to be very boring, unsatisfying, and fiddly. Why if one unit attacks an enemy from the front that any other attack from the front is flanking? I would have preferred some sort of facing rules with units needing to attack the enemy from behind to count as flanking. And this way you wouldn't have to worry about placing and removing and placing tokens.

Also the cards were boring to me. They didn't seem to create any fog of war. So why have them? You pretty much know exactly what your opponent can do. He can either use an order token or he can order 2 or 3 units next to his leaders.

I've kind of gotten way off topic but the point is I really did want to like this game (I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't want to like it) but its new mechanics that were supposed to make it a great game just didn't work for me at all.