Encounter cards with "you are dealt damage"

By HealingAura, in Middle-earth Quest

Some encounter cards give you an option of prevent damage by discarding cards with shield icons.

For example, Fornost's "Deadmen's Dike" card deals 4 damage to your hero, but you can prevent that damage and if you do you get 2 favor and receive training.

What will happen if you have no cards in your life pool, and by discarding cards from your hand to prevent the damage you will end up with 0 cards?

Are you defeated and you don't get the favor and training?
Can you get the training and remain undefeated (since you got 1 card in hand now)?

In case the hero does get the reward and is defeated:

What happens if he had no favor or item? Does he lose a favor / item from the reward?

Does he keep any received skill cards in hand from the reward, or he is required to shuffle it into the life pool?

HealingAura said:

"Some encounter cards give you an option of prevent damage by discarding cards with shield icons.

For example, Fornost's "Deadmen's Dike" card deals 4 damage to your hero, but you can prevent that damage and if you do you get 2 favor and receive training.

What will happen if you have no cards in your life pool, and by discarding cards from your hand to prevent the damage you will end up with 0 cards?

Are you defeated and you don't get the favor and training?"

---> IIRC, you are not defeated when you are reduced to zero cards; you are defeated when you lose one more than that, i.e., when you have to discard and cannot. If you successfully prevented all the damage, you took no damage, so I don't see how that could defeat you. You are simply exhausted and will need to rest (and have played your cards incorrectly, since the next Hero Draw Step will come and you will have no cards to draw, meaning you'll effectively lose a turn ... you might even have been better to be defeated and get the healing and automatic return trip to a haven).

"Can you get the training and remain undefeated (since you got 1 card in hand now)?"

--> It is my understanding that you can.

Gramarye, you don't need to have to lose extras to be defeated, just 0 cards in hand + life pool is enough:

"If a hero has zero cards in his life pool and zero cards in his
hand, he is immediately defeated." (p. 32)

Otherwise FAQ rulings about suiciding yourself with moving would be moot as you could never discard extra cards to move, you either discard a card and move or you can't discard and can't move.

Heh. Knew I shouldn't have gone off memory.

Who do I contact in Fantasy Flight Games in order to ask about rule clarifications? (what email)

Rules Questions tab below the threads (darkish grey text on dark background, it's there but have to look closely).

HealingAura said:

Who do I contact in Fantasy Flight Games in order to ask about rule clarifications? (what email)

If you have a question you can't find the answer to, just ask here or on Boardgamegeek. You can't get faster feedback. :)