Changeling's Power

By yardobeef, in Cosmic Encounter

The Changeling was first used in our game and brought with it many questions.

1. On the card, it says that the Changeling gets the Miser's horde. Does that mean he takes the cards the Miser currently has in his horde or does he get his own 8 card horde?

2. Does the power go away once the encounter is complete? Does he return the horde cards to the Miser or to the discard deck?

3. If the power is permanent, does the Changeling's target become the Changeling? If so, when is he able to use the power? Can he swap immediately or does he need to wait for the next encounter?

Thanks a bunch.

yardobeef said:

1. On the card, it says that the Changeling gets the Miser's horde. Does that mean he takes the cards the Miser currently has in his horde or does he get his own 8 card horde?

2. Does the power go away once the encounter is complete? Does he return the horde cards to the Miser or to the discard deck?

3. If the power is permanent, does the Changeling's target become the Changeling? If so, when is he able to use the power? Can he swap immediately or does he need to wait for the next encounter?

2. No, the power does not go away. The hoard is not returned.

3. The Changeling's opponent does become the Changeling, just as the Changeling player now has his opponent's power. The opponent is able to use the power the next time he is a main player. No, he may not swap immediately.

Thanks so much for the info.

Wow, it sounds like the Changeling can really throw a game into chaos, especially a 3-person game!

yardobeef said:

Thanks so much for the info.

Wow, it sounds like the Changeling can really throw a game into chaos, especially a 3-person game!

You are correct about the chaos. I played recently with my monthly game group and Changeling was in the game. One of my friends was annoyed with it and the hazard card that changes the turn order from clockwise to counterclockwise or vice versa. He exclaimed, "What is going on here! What kind of game is this? This isn't Cosmic!"

My comment to that was, "This is exactly Cosmic. Where have you been the past thirty years we have been playing this game?"

Take the Miser's hoard (or the Warrior's tokens, Fury's tokens, The Claw's claw, Cryo's cold storage, etc.) when using Changeling's ability. The aliens do NOT change back at the end of the encounter - The player who was originally the Changeling gets to remain that alien.

The player receiving the Changeling CANNOT immediately use it to change back, as the ability is specifically restricted to once per encounter.