Slaves to Darkness and The Lost and the Damned

By van Riebeeck, in Black Crusade

So... I'm just asking, but what's the problem with taking the rules from another codex, calling your army the Ghost Squatters and continuing to use them as the ones who were on away-duty while their planet got chomped? It's not like GW ever printed the rules for a Tech Guard army, but I don't think they're going to hunt me down for hijacking the Necron rules...

I suppose it's a problem if you try to play against a player who don't recognize squats as a valid/balanced/updated army.

Cifer said:

So... I'm just asking, but what's the problem with taking the rules from another codex, calling your army the Ghost Squatters and continuing to use them as the ones who were on away-duty while their planet got chomped? It's not like GW ever printed the rules for a Tech Guard army, but I don't think they're going to hunt me down for hijacking the Necron rules...

You're right of course, you can always play with a "counts as" army list, or (as I did) just re-write and update the army list for each successive iteration of the epic rules.

However, as M'Lord Ork says, it does prevent one from playing against anyone other than close friends who are prepared to play against someone turning up with their own rules for their own army!

I recognise that to an extent my feelings on this point are somewhat irrational; there are workarounds. My gripe is more with the way that the Squats have been (ostensibly and uniquely) written/airbrushed out of the setting than with the way support for them has been cut.I guess it's just a side effect of my financial and personal investment in them!

Anyway - thread hijack over, sorry about that!

And to respond to the OP's point, yes, Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned remain the definitive chaos books, probably because of their perfect balance betwen crunch and fluff, the insane artwork and the genuine feel of innovative experiment contained within. The books were labours of love, and remain some of my favourite GW books ever.

Getting rid of the squats wasn't such a bg deal really. Its pretty clear that WH40K doesn't have a definitive canon like other settings might have. It is more like a collection of mythologies, such as the Greeks or Norse had. With that in mind I am comfortable that GW game designers subscribe to the idea that squats were eaten by Tyranids, it doesn't mean that is the definitive WH40K background!

Visitor Q said:

Getting rid of the squats wasn't such a bg deal really. Its pretty clear that WH40K doesn't have a definitive canon like other settings might have. It is more like a collection of mythologies, such as the Greeks or Norse had. With that in mind I am comfortable that GW game designers subscribe to the idea that squats were eaten by Tyranids, it doesn't mean that is the definitive WH40K background!

YMMV, Q. happy.gif

On the "Squat Question", I am sure I remember one of the Senior Guys (maybe Jervis?) saying that the main problem they where having with the squats was rationalising the army between the two games systems of 40k scale and epic scale. In 40k they where basically biker gangs, while in Epic they went for building huge vehicles (Land train thingy and Leviathans etc). And rather than spend the time trying to get everything to fit together they decided to work on newer races, and try and get the game away from being Warhammer in space. Not saying that was the best idea in the world but I can understand the rational, but then I never collected squats at the time either!

On the Original post, I agree that everyone should try and read these books, they are a great source of background material and a great read in themselves.

Chris

Twwbm said:

On the "Squat Question", I am sure I remember one of the Senior Guys (maybe Jervis?) saying that the main problem they where having with the squats was rationalising the army between the two games systems of 40k scale and epic scale. In 40k they where basically biker gangs, while in Epic they went for building huge vehicles (Land train thingy and Leviathans etc). And rather than spend the time trying to get everything to fit together they decided to work on newer races, and try and get the game away from being Warhammer in space. Not saying that was the best idea in the world but I can understand the rational, but then I never collected squats at the time either!

On the Original post, I agree that everyone should try and read these books, they are a great source of background material and a great read in themselves.

Chris

Spot on. While epic was still a very popular game squats would still be in the background (they actually had a well developed army!). Once epic was effecitvely dropped as a main line game (Epic 40K....Why GW? Why??) squats didn't have nearly as much going for them.

In fairness to GW, the Imperium was slightly more tolerant of aliens and abhumans back in the day (I do mean slightly) but I don't know that an alliance with an entire race of abhumans would have sat so well with the Grim Dark version of WH40K that GW were going for.

*nods pleased*

It is good to see that FFG keeps to old wisdom. The entry of the new topic of Daemon Weapons is lifted straight from Slaves to Darkness. A very fitting and athmospheric text, if I might add. Good work, may the Dark Gods bless you with their gifts.

FvR

van Riebeeck said:

*nods pleased*

It is good to see that FFG keeps to old wisdom. The entry of the new topic of Daemon Weapons is lifted straight from Slaves to Darkness. A very fitting and athmospheric text, if I might add.

A little bit of tradition, actually - the same quote appears in Tome of Corruption for WFRP2 as a nod to the original rules; it's the same reason I made use of it with regard to Black Crusade's Daemon Weapons.

It's not quite as fitting in the 40k context - daemon weapons in 40k are more often the work of mortals binding daemons to their will than gifts from the Gods as they are in the Warhammer World - but it's a good quote and a fine acknowledgement of the grand old work that started it all ("it all" being the inclusion of Chaos in 40k)

aren't these books pretty nigh impossible to get these days?