doran's game

By db123456, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

because of doran's game that an event attach to my house card, which type that card is? event ? attachment?

Attachment. Any card attached to any other card is considered an attachment (and only an attachment). The exception being dupes.

This card screams for clarification.

Rogue30 said:

ktom said:

Rogue30 said:

How so?

From what I can tell there are two concerns about Doran's Game:

First, Doran's Game says, "You may play that event as if it were in your hand," but the card is attached to your House card and is therefore an attachment and not an event. So how can you "play that event" when it isn't one? Furthermore, the FAQ says:

If an event card is in play as an attachment, can I trigger its event text?

No. The core rules read, "event cards are played from your hand for their text effect." If an event card is in play and functioning as another card type, its text cannot be triggered in [sic] unless another effect enables you to do so.

And I believe this is where the confusion/uncertainty should dissolve. Even though the cancelled event becomes an attachment, the last part of Doran's Game is simply referring to the card itself (not its type) and applying a lasting effect to it -- that you may play it as if it were in your hand. And despite it being an attachment in play, were it played from your hand it would be treated as an event.

Second, is that you can play a card already in play. While that is atypical, the way I see it -- Doran's Game simply amends when/how a card can be played. The rules/FAQ tell us that cards are played from hand. Doran's Game tells us that the (printed) event card can be played while in play and is treated as if it was played from hand when played. It alters the rules text, just as many other cards in this game do.

I might be missing something else, but I think that's about it.

ktom said:

How so?

I've seen two interpretations:

-you can play that event as if from hand and then it goes to discard pile

-you can play it infinitely as if from hand (it stays as attachment)

And honestly I have no idea what was desinger's intent.

FATMOUSE said:

First, Doran's Game says, "You may play that event as if it were in your hand," but the card is attached to your House card and is therefore an attachment and not an event. So how can you "play that event" when it isn't one? Furthermore, the FAQ says:

If an event card is in play as an attachment, can I trigger its event text?

No. The core rules read, "event cards are played from your hand for their text effect." If an event card is in play and functioning as another card type, its text cannot be triggered in [sic] unless another effect enables you to do so.

And I believe this is where the confusion/uncertainty should dissolve. Even though the cancelled event becomes an attachment, the last part of Doran's Game is simply referring to the card itself (not its type) and applying a lasting effect to it -- that you may play it as if it were in your hand. And despite it being an attachment in play, were it played from your hand it would be treated as an event.

FATMOUSE said:

Second, is that you can play a card already in play. While that is atypical, the way I see it -- Doran's Game simply amends when/how a card can be played. The rules/FAQ tell us that cards are played from hand. Doran's Game tells us that the (printed) event card can be played while in play and is treated as if it was played from hand when played. It alters the rules text, just as many other cards in this game do.

Rogue30 said:

I've seen two interpretations:

-you can play that event as if from hand and then it goes to discard pile

-you can play it infinitely as if from hand (it stays as attachment)

If you follow the instructions on the card and play the event "as if it were in your hand," part of playing the event "as if it were in your hand" is for the card to enter a moribund:discard state after the effect resolves. That's part of the rules for playing an event from your hand. So triggering the event "as if it were in your hand" will force the card (even as an attachment) into the moribund:discard state upon the resolution of the effect. And, at the end of the window, the event-as-attachment will leave play with all other moribund cards.

So regardless of the intent of the designers, if you follow the instructions on the card, that's what will happen. The card will go to the discard pile after a single use. Not sure why it needs any more clarification than that.

What would be if the stolen event's owner takes back the control of his event? Can you still use it "as if it were in your hand"? What the owner can do with his event in that case?

How would the owner take back control of the event? You mean with something like Kraznys Mo Nakloz or Crown of Meereen? That is a good question. I don't think you could move the event to attach to another card in play, but the part about gaining control of it would still be resolved, I think. I am not sure how that interacts with the ability of the opponent to play the event.

I don't think control of the event actually changes when Doran's Game is played. The owner still controls the card theoretically, except there is nothing to control because its Event ability is not actionable by the controller while the card is an attachment. What allows the player who played Doran's Game to use the attached event is the lasting effect created by Doran's Game.

Good eye on the lack of "control" change, Saturnine. And correct analysis of the situation, as well. Only the player of Doran's Game will be able to break the rules of "you cannot trigger the event effect on an event-turned-attachment in play," regardless of who controls the card.

Thank you, guys! Now it's clear.

Can I attach it to my House card if I have not used a L character to cancel it in the first place? The wording "you may kneel a second L character to attach that event to your House card" sounds as if you cannot attach it if you haven't used a "first" L character to cancel it. Otherwise the wording shoud not include the "second" as it seems unnecessary to use the word "second" since there is no way to stand the same L character who you used to cancel before the option to attach it to your House, and even if you could (IotKM maybe) it doesnt say "kneel a different L character..."

Yes, by saying "you may kneel a second LEARNED character...," the event is saying the cost of the cancel must have been paid by kneeling a first LEARNED character, not by taking the influence route. As you say, paying the first cost with influence, then kneeling a LEARNED character does not meet the definition of kneeling a secon d character.

And I'm not sure how you plan to use a triggered effect between the "pre-then" and "post-then" of single effect (that must resolve completely before you trigger something else) to stand the "first" LEARNED character in order to kneel it as the "second" LEARNED character, too....

Do the L characters have to in your control? Or any in play?

The have to be under your control.

You are paying a cost when you kneel the LEARNED characters. You can only pay costs with things that are yours. You cannot use another player's LEARNED character to pay the cost of your event any more than you can use another player's gold to pay the cost of your characters.