Malekith: Dark Elf Legend

By Kaine82, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

We have been play testing legends a lot and it really seems everything is now a race to see who can get their legend out first. At first glance, we all thought they were too expensive for so so effects, but the extra resources and cards coupled with being able to defend any zone is pretty great. Not to mention they can't be targeted by effects. Here is my best Legend deck so far

Legends
3 x Malekith

Units
3 x Veteran Sellswords
3 x Walking Sacrifice
3 x Dark Initiate
3 x Dwarf Slaves
3 x Thief of Essence
2 x Vile Sorceress
3 x Monster of the Deep

Support
3 x Bottomless Mine
3 x Slave Pen
3 x Soul Stealer

Tactics
3 x Whip the Slaves
3 x Lash the Prisoner
3 x Dark Visions
3 x Call the Blood
3 x Sacrifice to Khaine
3 x Beguile

Total: 50 cards (always keep to the minimum)

This deck can have a legend out by turn 3 or 4 on a good opening hand. It is always best to play Monster of the Deep first if possible to protect the Malekith to get the most out of him if possible.

Let me know your thoughts.

Interesting build. But is it not a bit lacking in effective units? I kinda see where you're aiming for but it is an unusual setup.
How does it perform?

This deck seem's slow (lack of supports and resource boosters).
I suggest you to pick up Innovation instead of Soul Steal (since you already have Dwarf slaves)
There is no point in have Call the Blood without effective damaging mechanism (Jezzail team, Bloodburn poison, etc).
Consider about taking Alluring Chosen (they will be boosted with Malekith and Sacrifice to Khaine).
Also, you have a weak control on the opponent's support cards (and at some point, opponent will have huge resource base, so he can burn you in 1-2 turns)

Just for example, here's mine latest competitive DE deck:

Quests:
3 Offering to Hekarti

Units:
3 Walking Sacrifice
3 Alluring Chosen
3 Shades
3 Seasoned Corsair
3 Wight Lord
3 Vile Sorceress
3 Thief of Essence

Tactics:
3 Burn it Down
3 Warpstone Experiments
3 Sacrifice to Khaine

Supports:
3 Warpstone Excavation
3 Contested Village
3 Slave Pen
3 Har Ganeth
3 Withering Hex

Legend:
3 Malekith

Severerance listed a good deck that is similar to the DE legend builds that we already played a few games with. What I noticed by playing is that DE can afford to play more kingdom now and only play Q-zone when it comes down to get Offering to Hekarti started. The main reason is Thief of Essence. Man this guy is a powerhouse when it comes down to drawing cards and has so much synergy with the unit removal theme and own sacrifice stuff. Note that the classic Har Garneth - Walking Sacrifice combo let's you draw an additional card for each Thief you have in play. Also agree on Innovation since it helps the most at the moment when playing kingdom heavy and it often makes a mediocre starting hand into a strong one.

Nice Concept. :)

A couple of ideas (first look, I can change my mind :) ):

- Go for Innovation: Soul stealer's fine, but not needed as Innovation is. More resource boost and devs optimization is not bad right now.

- TRY to drop 3x Bottomless Mine, 3x Monster of The deep (it's better havin' more "easy" and utility drops than a single big drop...you've Malekith, focus on it), 3x Veteran Sellswords, 1x Call the Blood...And put

o 3x Contested Village (Bottomless needs a condition and it's a 2-cost support...Contested will give you the same boost in the early game and with Innovation you'll be faster).

o 3x Alluring Chosen (incredible boost).

o 3x Seasoned Corsair (instant kill, thief trigger).

o 1x Vile Sorceress.

- Consider playin' some "Witch' HAg's Curse" (loyalty + lock) against a LOT of insidious opponents (like Sorceror, pistoliers, etc.).

- I'd find room for Seeking New Slaves: destroys reanimator and gives you the chance to take advantage of your own killing process.

Just inputs. :)

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for all the feed back guys! You were right about it running slow. I took out Soul Stealer and Bottomless Mine for Warpzone and Contested Villiage. I also replaced a lot of other stuff I am having trouble remembering without my deck in from of me.

I am really starting to think Legends aren't as powerful as I thought hey were initially. You really have to be set up with units in every zone to protect them when they hit the table or else they will die very quickly. I am thinking of ditching Malekith.

Anyone else come to this conclusion?

I still like them, but you have to protect them. I would probably only play two.

TL

Kaine82 said:

At first glance, we all thought they were too expensive for so so effects, but the extra resources and cards coupled with being able to defend any zone is pretty great.

I think that legends are fairly slow due to what you mentioned about having the right set up for them. Still, they are worth it, if you can keep them around. By the way, legends cannot defend zones, they can only defend if they are the target of the attack.

Although we loved Malekith from the beginning, the legend is completely gone from our playing group. There was nearly never a chance to trigger the Legend's action because either it took too long to play it or it was too vulnerable to last for some turns.

DE benefits from so much control stuff that there are quite better options to play. It's a pitty but it seems to me that the Legends concept will not last.

Legends with an offensive nature seem to be the best. Defensive ones like Malekith are great if you can keep him around but end up doing too little for their cost when your opponent attacks and destroys them before they get a chance to activate.

TL

Vitamin T said:

Legends with an offensive nature seem to be the best. Defensive ones like Malekith are great if you can keep him around but end up doing too little for their cost when your opponent attacks and destroys them before they get a chance to activate.

TL

Very well put. I originally thought Archaon wouldn't be so good, but considering that you can reap his benefits right away, I've been forced to change my opinion. And since he can eliminate units with his ability, he can help protect himself that way.