Lion's Gate

By CanadianMohawk, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

If I play this card and choose no attachments as my Trait, would that character lose its attachments to lost to the discard pile or would they be nullified for that round but remain on the character?

GamerAtom said:

If I play this card and choose no attachments as my Trait, would that character lose its attachments to lost to the discard pile or would they be nullified for that round but remain on the character?

"No Attachments" isn't a trait. It's a keyword. You cannot give keywords with Lion's Gate, only traits.

Here's how to tell the difference between traits and keywords:

1. Traits always appear on cards in bold-face, italic type. Keywords are in plain type.

2. Traits do not give a card any inherent ability or "power" on their own. They only mean something when referred to in another effect (e.g., " Knight characters get +1 STR"). In many cases, they are there more for flavor than game play. Keyword do give a card a specific ability or "power" that is defined in the basic game rule (rather than written out on the card).

So Lion's Gate can make a card a Knight , a Lady , an Ally , a Stronghol d , a Dragon , etc., but it cannot give a card Stealth, Renown, No Attachments, etc.

To answer the larger underlying question, if a character with attachments gains the "No Attachments" keyword through some effect, the attachments become illegal, and all illegal attachments are immediately discarded. Lion's Gate just isn't the card to do it.

did we ever determine if Lion's gate can go after power on a house card?

Lars said:

did we ever determine if Lion's gate can go after power on a house card?

Sure it can. The House card meets the definition of "card in play," so what's stopping it? Whether the developers thought of that or intended it to be so before the card was released or not could be a topic of discussion, but until there is errata, it's a legal play.

What you cannot do, according to the FAQ, is try to discard a House card from play based on the trait you give it.

ktom said:

What you cannot do, according to the FAQ, is try to discard a House card from play based on the trait you give it.

~Who would try to do such folly? sonrojado.gif

interesting. Thanks for the answers!