Newbie Questions

By Phos_Hilaron, in Runebound

Where to start. First, my wife and I are brand new to Runebound. We play lots of board games, so we understand the concepts pretty well...

I'll be honest, I'm having trouble understanding and grasping this game.

Problem 1 (and perhaps the main problem) we are getting decimated on green encounters in the vanilla game. I'm playing as Ronan of the Wild and I encountered a "ghost stag" I tried to fight, and was knocked out. Fantastic...

After "recovering" from that I went to another green counter and pulled the "Carnivorous Flora" which I automatically fail my melee combat with. (Ronan gets a +2, and the plant's target value is 15. That means even if I roll a 10, I'm done).

Problem 2 Do you even start with any equipment or allies? It seems ridiculously difficult to enter green encounters without any equip or allies...but it also seems equally ridiculous that I would have to wander around the map going from town to town for the first five turns trying to get my hands on an item or ally that is under 3 gold (what you start the game with).

To wrap it up. I feel like we aren't playing the game correctly, and we keep wiping on green encounters. Solutions? or clarifications?

thanks in advance.

Phos_Hilaron said:

Where to start. First, my wife and I are brand new to Runebound. We play lots of board games, so we understand the concepts pretty well...

I'll be honest, I'm having trouble understanding and grasping this game.

Problem 1 (and perhaps the main problem) we are getting decimated on green encounters in the vanilla game. I'm playing as Ronan of the Wild and I encountered a "ghost stag" I tried to fight, and was knocked out. Fantastic...

After "recovering" from that I went to another green counter and pulled the "Carnivorous Flora" which I automatically fail my melee combat with. (Ronan gets a +2, and the plant's target value is 15. That means even if I roll a 10, I'm done).

You roll both 10-sided dice not one and sum the results. That should make combat a lot easier.

Phos_Hilaron said:

Problem 2 Do you even start with any equipment or allies? It seems ridiculously difficult to enter green encounters without any equip or allies...but it also seems equally ridiculous that I would have to wander around the map going from town to town for the first five turns trying to get my hands on an item or ally that is under 3 gold (what you start the game with).

To wrap it up. I feel like we aren't playing the game correctly, and we keep wiping on green encounters. Solutions? or clarifications?

thanks in advance.

Read above.

BAHAHA. We just re-read all the rules, and saw this. Total face-palm.

aplauso.gif

Don't feel bad... we did the same thing on our first game. sonrojado.gif