Creating an online playable version

By Plastefuchs, in Chaos in the Old World

Hello fellow CitOW players and any FFG people that might be reading this.

I plan on creating a Chaos in the Old World module for Zuntzu , a board game table engine not unlike Vassal. The only things to be included would be the base graphics of the game. The aim is to provide a way to play the game for people who own it, but are rarely able to do so because of time issues.

My question is, would there be a way for me to put this out into the open for people to download?

Zuntzu doesn't have any rules validation capabilities, so this angle is already out. Also there is a Zuntzu module for Battlestar Galactica floating around with a few missing texts amd a reference to "FFG's Online Policies", so maybe it would be possible to remove the text on certain cards (magic cards come to mind) but still retain the ability play the game.

I know that GW (and with that FFG) is not keen on reproductions of their art, so i wanted to make sure to ask before putting something out.

While I really like the idea, you'll probably have better chances at getting a response by contacting FFG directly by email. The forums are largely unmonitored.

Hm, interesting.

I tried this once, never got a response from FFG.. good luck.

Haven't had any luck yet, in the end I can just put it out and wait for a reaction. :3

The first step is done: click me

Don't worry, the first legal reaction is usually "cease and desist".

"Click me" doesn't work, by the way. Has your C&D already arrived? :D

It took a bit of digging, but I managed to find what he was trying to show. It's nothing major, just in image showing a bit of a preview for this. It shows part of the overall board, surprisingly accurate to the actual board (I would've expected something makeshift, barebones), threat dials at various stages, points assigned by point markers, tokens placed around the board, and the Great Unclean One placed in Brettonia. No cards of any kind. There is also a very minimal interface.

citow.jpg

I did find a Vassal Module out there on these intartubes, so perhaps the effort has already been made, eh?

It got a bit busy around here and haven't gotten that much further in my little project.

citow_alpha0878.jpg

ZunTzu does not have much of an interface. The only major thing of the interface not shown, is the card hand that enables you to store card without the other players seeing them.

My biggest problem at the moment is the cheer size of the thing. Even with my 24" monitor I cannot keep it all zoomed out and read the text of the cards. Zuntzu works as a "one-view" application though, so every player sees the same picture, be it all zoomed in or out...

And now, off to work again!