Screaming Vortex

By signoftheserpent, in Black Crusade

Presumably the setting for BC. So where is it? Is it near Calixis? Jericho? Koronus? I'm guessing it's styled on the Eye of Terror.
Sounds interesting.

it's on the edge of the Korunus expanse, one of the 2 big warp storms that block access to it from the Calixis sector apart from the Korunus Passage.

as far as how they have said! it`s probly between calixis and korunus somewhere. but seeing its a chaos thing who knows could be nether here nor there. if the gm wants to move it he has a inbuilt excuse (chaos did it)

just intrested but why does it matter? in a system overrun with chaos followers and deamonic beings. don`t you have enuf trouble allready(or did you want too bring trouble from or too if from someplace els??

Well most of the planets and stuff don't seem to be in th Warp itsef, and its all a matter of perspective on what is "problem". Mutation, possessin and servitude to the creatures of the Warp probably isn't considered a problem, and constant warfare is a chance for glory rather than misery. So while the Imperials might think of it as big problem, most of the inhabitants of the Screaming Vortex no doubt think of it as perfectly fine.

as far as i can tell from what has come out your somewhat trapt in the vortex. the how or why isnt realy explained yet but its a big chaosy mistory

as far as general idea that is going around is, if you somehow get too the center you could find your way out! (sound realy silly too me but thats chaos thinking for you)

now ofcourse you don`t need too play BC in the vortex use RT system and go play chaos reaver pirat in koronus or what ever els your evil little hart can think of.

personaly i think 90% of the warbands are likely just fighing amon them self just too see who gets on top or what not and then rest might for whatever reason and with whatever goal try too get out ! but then hey did you know the inner planets are full of deamon and real chaos fanatics and it gets worse the father you go it. sounds like a sany fun little madhouse too play around in too me.

but havn`t seen anything off the book yet so details are a bit iffy

So this is basically like the Rogue Isles from City of Heroes :D

Would love to see a map preview. I would hope pc's can go to and from the Vortex.

Having Chaos followers trapped in the Screaming Vortex, fighting amongst themselves (and occasionally Necrons?) appears to be FFGs "work-around" to try to avoid a backlash from uptight parent groups about a game that promotes murder, human sacrifice and devil worship. However, most posters to this Forum seem to think they will be fighting against the Imperium in BC . I wonder if most players will use the Vortex as a setting, or dump it and set their campaigns in the Calaxis Sector, where they can kill the servants of the Emperor en masse ...?

Adeptus-B said:

Having Chaos followers trapped in the Screaming Vortex, fighting amongst themselves (and occasionally Necrons?) appears to be FFGs "work-around" to try to avoid a backlash from uptight parent groups about a game that promotes murder, human sacrifice and devil worship. However, most posters to this Forum seem to think they will be fighting against the Imperium in BC . I wonder if most players will use the Vortex as a setting, or dump it and set their campaigns in the Calaxis Sector, where they can kill the servants of the Emperor en masse ...?

I fail to see how murder, human sacrifice and devil worship won't happen on the Screaming Vortex. Also, the developers have stated that they will also give hints to use the characters on the calixis sector, emphatizing the paranoia of not knowing who could be an inquisition agent. I found that a brilliant inversion of the paranoia of an acolyte who doesn't know who could be a chaos cultist.

I use only custom setting when playing wh40krp, but I think the Scream Vortex section would be interesting. Many times I have tried to make a chaos city/country/setting, but I have not been able to do this convincent. I want to see their ideas.

we want a preview, we want a preview

no realy i realy want a preview just too get some clue on what i`m going too do

anyway they have given some hints and some intresting clues still have too get the damm book too get the full madness view of the vortex but hey i`ll not deiny them there way of making money (just wish its didn`t cost this much your ruining my bank acount)

isn`t chaos killing chaos the status quo for chaos. and fun stuff being when ever something none chaos comes around "oh new ppl too kill"

i'm probly making this far far simpel in my mind then it is realy but, hey its all in good fun. and being evil can be great fun

Lord Ork said:

Adeptus-B said:

Having Chaos followers trapped in the Screaming Vortex, fighting amongst themselves (and occasionally Necrons?) appears to be FFGs "work-around" to try to avoid a backlash from uptight parent groups about a game that promotes murder, human sacrifice and devil worship...

I fail to see how murder, human sacrifice and devil worship won't happen on the Screaming Vortex...

Right, but my point was that there won't be innocent victims; everyone is a "bad guy" on a Daemon World...

Other than the otherwise innocent people trying to survive without being made into slaves or eaten by daemons.

Adeptus-B said:

Having Chaos followers trapped in the Screaming Vortex, fighting amongst themselves (and occasionally Necrons?)

Whoa nelly. Did you hear something about necrons showin' up in Black Crusade? They seem the ultimate xenos antagonist for Chaotics.

But I think they are trying to be as garishly quasi-satanic in their advertisement. I doubt there is an ulterior motive behind the Screaming Vortex, its 99% likely to just be the thought process "Each game needs a home base in the 40k universe... this is for Chaos, so what's more Chaosy than RANDOM TORRENTS OF ENERGY AND PEOPLE YELLING AND KILLING PEOPLE OH HELL ITS RANDOM AND WEIRD AND WILD?!"

The Screaming Vortex's positioning seems to be designed to allow BC characters to use the settings from both DH and RT. This is a pleasingly logical setup, in my view, as you can use background material from the other two games.

I don't know how they will work around the Jerich Reach setting though, as it's on the other side of the galaxy. I guess the obvious answer is that the Hadex anomaly links to the Screaming Vortex. Personally I think there's the risk that such an approach could be a little contrived, and that it would devalue the uniqueness of the (Imperial-held) warp gates, but equally I think a lot of DW players would cry foul if there wasn't some link between all of the systems.

I dont think there must be a link for Chaos spawn as well.

Chaos can already be on the other side. Cultists generally stay on their own planet, until its either a chaosplanet or they are vanquished.

And CSM have their own ships. I see no reason why a Chaos campaign must have both (three) campaign areas available with a single warp storm as a link.

When do you want to fight Space Marines of the Jericho reach specifically (instead of marines from the calixis sector), then go on a hunt against a rogue trader (grab the cool stuff from his ship), just to attack port wander or somesuch.

Maybe you want to, but i dont really see the absolute reason to have such an "obvious" GM fiat device just to link all campaigns. The Imperium holds a rare warp gate. I can live with that. But Chaos has an anomaly which taps into said warp gate just so campaign setting is linked with all the other stuff as well?

Deinos said:

Whoa nelly. Did you hear something about necrons showin' up in Black Crusade? They seem the ultimate xenos antagonist for Chaotics.

Two of the pictures shown in the preview section show BC characters with Necrons; that, combined with the fact that Necrons will be recieving a new TT Codex later this year, make "Necrons in the Screaming Vortex" a reasonable guess...

Adeptus-B said:

Deinos said:

Two of the pictures shown in the preview section show BC characters with Necrons; that, combined with the fact that Necrons will be receiving a new TT Codex later this year, make "Necrons in the Screaming Vortex" a reasonable guess...

Except that Necrons consider the Warp anathema and wish to remove the warp completely from the material realm. They would be IN the screaming vortex, but rather try to remove it.

Sure anything can happen, but with the current lore, i would not want to be on the receiving end of a Necron attack. Land raiders are pleythings for those metal men. A Necronlord can slice and dice you within seconds....

from rogue trader too deathwatch and even something i been reading in dark heresy. there a petty heavy forshadowing of necron overall.

not saying its going too be enemy nr1 just saying its somewhat there. even with DW and its heavy shadowing of necron you have at least 3 or 4 other active treats going on without counting the necron (and as of now there no rules for them anyway)

redhead22 said:

from rogue trader too deathwatch and even something i been reading in dark heresy. there a petty heavy forshadowing of necron overall

Other than them being a possible (but never spelled out) truth behind the Tyrant Star, I fail to see all this foreshadowing of which you speak.

@Morangias

Necron constructs appear in a DW adventure, there's the pictures in the Designer Diary (which I'm kind of sad about... it would have been cooler to leave out the one with the Lord entirely and put the Heretek examining the Scarab in a later post so attentive fanboys can go "Hey, what's that...? WHEE, Necrons!") and there were a few other sources that heavily hinted at Necrons - I believe it was the Calixian Xeno-researcher alternative rank from the Inquisitor's Handbook whose introductory quote read pretty much like he discovered that he happened to be on a tomb-world.

This seems very much a 'shades of grey' sort of game where there aren't any truly 'good guys' but the layers of 'bad guy' range from the selfish and opportunistic trying to survive down to the most debased and depraved chaos worshippers imaginable (and the daemons too).

It'll be a nice change from the absolutes in DH and DW.

keltheos said:

It'll be a nice change from the absolutes in DH and DW.

Absolutes? I can't see acolytes as abolute evil and even less as absolute good.

i think he meant that chaos in DH or DW was always seen and black and evil.

not as in BC where you have a more. i do what i do just too get by kind of mind set (do i deal with that deamon who i is my best chance of excape or dont i deal with him and try my luck on my own skill. do i serve or do i lead. do i follow or do i command that kind fo thing

not saying you couldn`t make chaos followers intresting in DH or DW but as soon as there was the 'there followers of chaos" that lead too "they could all die, no mather what"

redhead22 said:

i think he meant that chaos in DH or DW was always seen and black and evil.

not as in BC where you have a more. i do what i do just too get by kind of mind set (do i deal with that deamon who i is my best chance of excape or dont i deal with him and try my luck on my own skill. do i serve or do i lead. do i follow or do i command that kind fo thing

not saying you couldn`t make chaos followers intresting in DH or DW but as soon as there was the 'there followers of chaos" that lead too "they could all die, no mather what"

Yeah, barring certain very Radical campaigns, it was hard to portray Chaos worshipers as deep, interesting characters in DH, mostly because Acolytes tend to deal with Chaos worshipers at gunpoint. Radical Inquisitors, recidivists and other scum who might question the exact form of the Imperium but don't question it's very existence - sure, I can engage my DH players in meaningful non-violent interactions with them. But actual Chaos worshipers? My players tended to deal with them harshly without asking for reasons.