Ascension Psykers

By lordc447, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hey guys :) Another quick little question for you...

The Ascension rulebook allows psykers to take the Psy Rating +1 talent. My question is this: Does it specify anywhere in the book exactly what this does? I know it probably seems pretty self-explanatory, but I'm mainly wondering if the talent acts the same way the previous psy rating talents do by giving you new powers and/or new disciplines.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially if anybody's found a page number! XD
Thanks y'all! :D

I believe the Psy Rating +1 talent in ascension is purely a +1 with no other benefits.

ItsUncertainWho said:

I believe the Psy Rating +1 talent in ascension is purely a +1 with no other benefits.

My interpretation is the same. As there is no special description for that, I agree that it raises the character's psy rating by 1 and confers nothing else, especially no extra powers.

I actually think you do get extra powers. The +1 is there because you can go into Prymaris Psyker from both Savant (max Psy Rating 5) and Scholar (max Psy Rating 6) career paths. It states +1 so psyker after the Savant path has max Psy Rating 9 while Scholar has 10. Other than that I think they work just as normal Ps Rating talents.

Because why shouldn't our super Psyker learn anything new while his power still increases. (But I agree it can create some problems with Unnatural Willpower as psyker can get large amound of powers with it).

How can a psyker get a unnatural Willpower in game?

In the Ascension supplement, being a Primaris Psyker grants you Unnatural Willpower at the very highest ranks :)

Now in the Ascension book, can I use the new rules for the "Manifesting Psychic Powers" on page 124 as seeing that I'm rank 4 psyker, or is that only for the when you start getting into the Primaris Psyker Ranks?

If you mean things like Fettering, Unfettering, and Pushing, you've gotta hit rank 9 first :)

I knew it was to good to be true at this low rank but I guess I have to wait then. corazon_roto.gif

Just wait until you get a max rank Primaris with unnatural wpx3

Psy blade will do 1d10 +48 pen 24

Epoin said:

Just wait until you get a max rank Primaris with unnatural wpx3

Psy blade will do 1d10 +48 pen 24

Yeah, one of the myriad of reasons why The Imperium gets queasy when high-power Psykers run around without being bound to some of its institutions and not having had their loyality tested to 110%.

Just as an experiment I made a voidborn psyker with living nightmare, roll of 18 on WP, and "there is no substitute for zeal", ranked him up to ascension getting all the psychic talents he possibly could, including Unnatural Willpower x3, and taking stormwroth (which is OP imo).

His Lightning Arc does a maximum of 1042 damage... holy ****

Edited by Filthy Peasant

Yeah ... any psyker played halfway competently is going to max out Willpower early. At high levels, psykers can have loads of powers.

Question: for that build, did you tap into the Sorcery talents? Sorcery+Master Sorcerer is another +2 Psy Rating for psykers - this means a rank 8 (non-ascended) psyker can have an effective Psy Rating of 8. No Unnatural Willpower at that point, though.

Also ... I think that technically the Daemonhunter's Handbook background package Fate Eater (with sufficient Fated enemy kills) nets more total Willpower, plus a mutation ... which could be Wyrd, adding +1 Psy Rating, or, if you're crazy (un)lucky with the dice, Hellborn (which gives you daemonic and Psy Rating +2, well, and fear, too, but that's not relevant).

Psykers get ridiculous at high levels.

Also ... I just saw a Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor ad. I totally want to figure out how to build a (playable) Talion/Wraith type character in 40k now. I'm thinking an Eldar psyker's soul or a daemon for the Wraith component.

I can only recommend that you stay away from Ascension. If you need options for your Rank 8+ Acolytes, there are other options. In our games we open up the other branches of your career, which opens up for quite a bit of further XP expenditure :)

Se my sig for more info, or search for the many threads on this topic.

Edited by Darth Smeg