Toughness And Capture Question

By Gunshy, in Battles of Westeros

I was wondering if toughness applies when attempting to capture a commander. I imagine it does i was only questioning it because of how annoyingly unstoppable it makes killing commanders.

thanks

Gunshy said:

I was wondering if toughness applies when attempting to capture a commander. I imagine it does i was only questioning it because of how annoyingly unstoppable it makes killing commanders.

thanks

Yup, it applies.

And, lore-wise, good sir, in such medieval-sih settings commanders are not killed, but captured! Ransoms present a decent sum of money. Also, the figure of commander sort of represents commander and his/her entire retinue. And that is some noble, rich and 1337-weapons, heavy horse equipped retinue. So while one will be able to easily exterminate green rank war host of the north, it will be much more difficult to capture (not kill!) Rickard Karstark, Lord of Karlhold, a man as rich as say Donald Trump of today.

I think most people have realised that 'capturing' Commanders is difficult at normal times, with 'Toughness' adding more unlikelyhood. How often has a lonely Rickard still carried on causing havoc? The new optional rules allowing combined attacks at least gives a chance for 5+ dice attacks to get those tough Commanders. Any lost Commander makes a huge dent in the players options and this has to be as things were. As was mentioned above, individual figures do not represent a single person or 25%/33% of a units force. I believe that in medieval times, a unit virtualy ceased to exist after losing only 25% of its starting force. Disorganisation and loss of morale were the normal causes. You can also bet that Commanders would be surrounded by the best parts of a unit. I have found that with the relatively short number of turns, many games - especially those fought for control of certain hexes - are normally won/lost by last minute retreats. This can make 'Stalwart' a valuable ability as well. Cheers!