Replacement of Mao with Wu Zetian

By Nevarus, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Would it be possible to get an offical reason as to the change from Mao to Wu Zetian in recent printings of Sid Meier's Civilization?

Respectfully,

g.

Nevarus said:

Would it be possible to get an offical reason as to the change from Mao to Wu Zetian in recent printings of Sid Meier's Civilization?

Respectfully,

g.

...and would it be possible to get a Wu Zetian player board if we have the old Mao?

Is there any difference between Mao and Wu Zetian?

tbrichter said:

Is there any difference between Mao and Wu Zetian?

Genitals, for one thing. Making the switch from Mao to Wu leaves the game with three male, and three female leaders to choose from.

It could also be due to the fact that the other leaders in the box are less controversial in comparison to Mao. I hope this isn't the real reason, though.

Maccabbee said:

Nevarus said:

Respectfully,

g.

...and would it be possible to get a Wu Zetian player board if we have the old Mao?

Second that!

I would guess the reason is that this game is using civ5 as kind of a marketing move and at the time of 1st print they didn't know that in civ5 Wu Zetian would be the leader for China unlike in all previous civilizations.

Is it possible to become the new card?

thespirit said:

Is it possible to become the new card?

I am afraid that it will be difficult to turn you into a card. Whether you actually can get a card, I don't know.

Hint: German 'bekommen' = English 'get'. English 'become' = German 'werden'.. ;-)

Fnoffen said:

Maccabbee said:

Nevarus said:

Respectfully,

g.

Second that!

That'd be nice, +1!

Maccabbee said:

Nevarus said:

Respectfully,

g.

if you would like to have a wu-zetian player board in french, i can give you mine and you send me your mao one :-)

Yeah, would also like the Mao card.I have a German Wu Zetian card for trade. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Is the starting tile for Mao the same as Wu's? If not, I'd love to get a good high quality scan of the front and back of the tile, as well as the starting character card if it's different as well. Thanks!

They only changed the leader. The starting tile and other gameplay elements were not changed.

Ahh. I guess that would make it good for collectors only then. I would still not mind having a good scan of the tile back and the civ card, however. At least then I could make up facimilies and offer it as an option to people playing china. If anyone would be willing to send scans, please let me know and I'll gladly exchange emails.

I read a post on BGG where someone stated he had a chance to speak with Kevin Wilson at Strategicon, and apparantly the real reason for switching to Wu Zetian is that FFG's Chinese manufacturer said that China is not allowed to depict Chairman Mao in any demeaning form, including him losing the game .

(I don't know how accurate this is though.)

Yeah... I tried asking for the new Wu Zetian parts, but FFG support denied me :( . Oh well.