Gears of War vs. Doom/Decent/etc.

By KelRiever, in Gears of War: The Board Game

I'd like to know what the difference is going to be, and if it is significant. I mean, of course there will be different tiles, and weapons and creatures named after Gears of War, but will it play basically the same way? You know, party of 'adventurers' with a 'GM' running creatures, etc.

The video game was kind of boring to me, but that doesn't mean the board game can't be interesting. I'd imagine like Game of Thrones, where I found the book to be abysmal, and yet sure, the game can be good. But I am concerned its yet another, too similar, game where I'll simply be playing a version of Doom or Decent, and why would I want to do that?

So, hit me with the info! I'd like to hear what is innovative about this and what will entice me as a person bored by Gears of War the video game, but yet a fan of Fantasy Flight Games!

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this game fits into FFG's catalog right where Doom used to be. That's not to say it'll be the same game. Just a similar kind of game.

KelRiever said:

I'd like to know what the difference is going to be, and if it is significant. I mean, of course there will be different tiles, and weapons and creatures named after Gears of War, but will it play basically the same way? You know, party of 'adventurers' with a 'GM' running creatures, etc.

Well Gears is co-op according to the preview that's been released, so there'd be no "GM" player, only a "party" of heroes trying to get through a randomly generated map alive. You could probably kitbash a variant for a GM player if you wanted, though. FFG appears to be touting the AI as incredibly devious and "like there's a mastermind planning each move" but only time will tell how much of that is hype.

We don't really know much about the actual mechanics yet, but I don't think it will be the same engine as Doom and Descent. As far as whether or not the differences will be significant, well, that's sort of a subjective question. What I think of as significant might not be to you. Your definition of "playing basically the same way" as provided is fairly generic, to be frank. Except for the aforementioned GM bit, I don't see how it could fail to fit into this mould you've described. Tiles, weapons and creatures from the video game? Check. Party of "adventurers?" Check. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what you want or don't want? Keep in mind that we also don't know too much for sure right now anyway, so you might just have to keep your eyes peeled for future previews.

I expect that , mechanically speaking, it will have more in common with the D&D board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Arshie,) because it appears to be of the same randomly-generated, AI-enemies vein. Hopefully it will improve the weaknesses of those games and build upon the strengths, but again, we don't know a lot for sure right now.

Another important difference seems to be in how performing actions with your marines operates. GoW seems to use an action card system (with the number of action cards in your hand also representing your health), whereas Doom/Descent has the same standard set of actions all heroes can perform from turn to turn.

Bleached Lizard said:

Another important difference seems to be in how performing actions with your marines operates. GoW seems to use an action card system (with the number of action cards in your hand also representing your health), whereas Doom/Descent has the same standard set of actions all heroes can perform from turn to turn.

Where do you get that your hand of cards represents your health? I see nothing in writing about that and none of the pics seem to indicate that.

It is written on the description site of the game.

From the game description.

Highly trained tacticians and experts in a wide range of weapons, COGs have a number of tricks at their disposal, represented by a hand of Order cards. Playing these cards on your turn allows you to pull off spectacular moves; lay down suppressing fire, take quick cover, or lend a hand to another COG. But be careful – your hand size also represents your health. If you’re forced to discard an Order but have none to lose, you’ll drop to the ground and “Bleed Out,” where you must crawl helplessly until a teammate can come to your rescue.

That is too bad! I honestly can't stand that mechanic (also seen in Middle-Earth Quest).

Honestly, that might be enough to get me not to buy the game.

But I'll have to see it in more detail to decide.

I haven't played with that mechanic yet, but for me it sounds good. Gives you a nice incentive not to get hit. Something that I missed a bit in Doom.

Frog said:

That is too bad! I honestly can't stand that mechanic (also seen in Middle-Earth Quest).

I'd say it's more similar to the health system in Claustrophobia (i.e, more health = more flexibility).

Bleached Lizard said:

Frog said:

I'd say it's more similar to the health system in Claustrophobia (i.e, more health = more flexibility).

I guess if you look at it that way it might be cool. I liked that system in Claustrophobia.

Unlikely that I'll add GoW to my collection, but for the record huge fan of MEQ and its card deck as your life and something your Hero uses for everything.

KelRiever said:

The video game was kind of boring to me, but that doesn't mean the board game can't be interesting. I'd imagine like Game of Thrones, where I found the book to be abysmal, and yet sure, the game can be good. But I am concerned its yet another, too similar, game where I'll simply be playing a version of Doom or Decent, and why would I want to do that?

Sorry, just re-reading this part here. I know it's not the forum to post it, but you said the Game of Thrones books were abysmal!! Are you serious? May I ask what books you read (if you say 'Spot the Dog' I'll laugh)