Not Yet Available?

By AllaninCalgary, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I have read the first four Song of Fire and Ice novels and have recently been caught up in the world of Westros again through the HBO Mini-Series. As an avid board game player I started wondering if there was a Board game related to this series available. Fantastic reviews of the Game of Thrones: The Board Game lead me to this website. When I looked though the catalog I found that the game was listed as "Not Yet Available". I know the fifth book is set for release July 12th and the Mini-Series is in full swing so I wondered if and when this game might be available for purchase again.

Any hints?

AllaninCalgary

The game is being reprinted. I cannot tell you when it will be available from FFG but if you go to their upcoming page you can see what its current status is. While not available at FFG you could check for it other stores since it still could be available.

Does anyone have any idea if the expansions are too being reprinted? For me it would sound logical, but they are not listed on upcoming section whereas the basegame is.

I'm really hoping they do reprint the entire run. Finding the expansions seems to be nigh-impossible for a reasonable amount of money these days.

Gamer said:

The game is being reprinted. I cannot tell you when it will be available from FFG but if you go to their upcoming page you can see what its current status is. While not available at FFG you could check for it other stores since it still could be available.

Unfortunately, the post that can be found there has been there since late last year, actually. It was updated at some point so now it has a newer date on it. But even FFG Customer Service has no idea when the board game will actually be available; not even an educated guess. Nothing. For all I know it could be several weeks, months, maybe even as much as a year or more. Not a happy thought.

My critique on the fact that the mini-series aired and FFG didn't reprint either the board game or the living card game in time didn't go unnoticed; but at the end of the day I did not get a sufficient answer from FFG Customer Service as to why FFG decided not to profit from the hype and reprint in time. My personal guess is that someone procrastinated and the project wasn't started in time. Sad, sad.

Maybe the boardgame is receiving the revised launch like a few that we've seen recently.

Ruvion said:

Maybe the boardgame is receiving the revised launch like a few that we've seen recently.

Maybe. But why woulodn't FFG simply state that they are working on the rules as opposed to just saying "this is a reprint"?

In my book a reprint largely uses the same files as before. They may go over the errata and possibly FAQ to edit the core rules and such. But completely revamping the rules for a fully revised edition? Not likely. FFG would have made sure to let people know if this was the case.

Ruvion said:

Maybe. But why wouldn't FFG simply state that they are working on the rules as opposed to just saying "this is a reprint"?

In my book a reprint largely uses the same files as before. They may go over the errata and possibly FAQ to edit the core rules and such. But completely revamping the rules for a fully revised edition? Not likely. FFG would have made sure to let people know if this was the case.

Based on no information at all, my guess is that they want to reprint the game with pictures of the actors instead of the original drawings, but they're probably having trouble getting the license to do so from HBO, who I assume own the rights to the images of the characters as depicted in the show. FFG probably really wants to use the actors' images (and those of the locations from the series) to boost their sales and HBO wants a cut. Sadly those types of negotiations can take a really long time if one side wants too much and isn't willing to budge.

Those were my thoughts too.

I, too, would like to see this game reprinted. I'd really like to own it after seeing the HBO series and it looks great (Drakkenstrike did a video review recently that sold me on it), but I can't stomach the $150 that the game would cost to get right now.