monster cards

By andy3, in Runebound

yesterday we played runebound for a very long time and we ran out of green monster cards. after looking in the manuel and finding nothing my question is: doe we need to reshuffle them or are the green cards depleted until the end of the game?

You know I was sure I knew the answer but I flipped through the manual and I could not find what I was looking for.
So now, I'm not 100% sure.

I do believe you reshuffle the adventure decks when they are all used. I think the only time you're cut off from a particular challenge type is if you're waiting for a starburst and there are no gems on the board or when you take an extra heart when leveling and remove your ability to take green challenges (and then yellow and purple if you keep taking +1 hearts).

i searched my manuel to and didnt find anything about it. maybe somebody can answer this for sure?

aidenape said:

i searched my manuel to and didnt find anything about it. maybe somebody can answer this for sure?

Yeah. Rulebook says that Challenges are discarded AT THE BOTTOM of the respective deck. Check page 7, chapter "Defeating Challenges", last paragraph.

This means that your Challenge decks will never run out of cards and that if you cycle the entire deck you'll find already encountered cards in the order they were discarded. Only exception are Encounters, which are not discarded like Challenges and Events but are removed from the game.

Personally I don't follow the official discard rule. I put discarded cards on a separate pile and when the adventure deck is exhausted I reshuffle the cards into a new deck. It doesn't change things very much.

The_Warlock said:

Personally I don't follow the official discard rule. I put discarded cards on a separate pile and when the adventure deck is exhausted I reshuffle the cards into a new deck. It doesn't change things very much.

Ditto. It doesn't have an effect on Events, since they rarely get replayed over whichever one is already in play. As to Encounters, re-encountering one has never changed anything in our games vs removing them. But perhaps there are exceptions in some variants? Anyone?

JCHendee said:

Ditto. It doesn't have an effect on Events, since they rarely get replayed over whichever one is already in play. As to Encounters, re-encountering one has never changed anything in our games vs removing them. But perhaps there are exceptions in some variants? Anyone?

Encounters usually give bonuses or at least the chance for a bonus. In terms of overall balance it is not very significant to remove them, but perhaps it's thematically right to remove them when solved (you cannot discover the fabled Elven Treasure twice or kill the ruler of Frostgate twice in the same game). Events are not to be removed because the same Event can happen twice, but this is not appropriate in some cases (can Tamalir be destroyed twice?).

Removing Encounters (and perhaps Events) has a considerable impact when you play with the RAW Doom Track Variant. If those cards make the Track advance too it becomes frustrating; it's better to remove Encounters and also Events when playing with this variant.

Pick up some of the expansion packs with new challenges, events, and encounters for the base set and this will never happen.

Tony P. said:

Pick up some of the expansion packs with new challenges, events, and encounters for the base set and this will never happen.

this will happen soon.

all thanks for the answer.

Some good points, Warlock. So placing them in the discard pile might cause some quandaries (if not mechanics problems) should any one adventure deck get depleted and reshuffled during one game.