To players of the original Adventurers...

By SuperKalelJorson7, in The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus

This game and the Temple of Chac both look just beautiful, but I heard complaintst about replayabilty in the first one. Could someone elaborate a little more on that? I don't know anyone that owns it and I couldn't find a decent trade on BGG to try it out for myself.

That being said, Pyramid of Horus looks like a fun little family adventure game.

Yeah, it got old after just a few plays. It's a very pretty game and it's good for getting the wife and kids playing, but the regular gaming crowd around here lost interest quickly. I very much doubt anyone will be picking up The Pyramid of Horus.

Whilst the original Adventurers didn't have much in the way of replayability, it still remains a firm favourite in our gaming group.
There are fan rules out there that help out.

It gets brought out for a bit of light relief, as for family play it is our favourite after monkey lab (which is more to do with the monkey combat than anything else).
We will definitely be getting the next one. You never know FFG might weave their magic over it and increase the replayability happy.gif

Let me pile on gran_risa.gif .....I'ts a beautiful Game & has a unique system that builds up tension as the Game progresses.It gives you some nice choices & captures it's Theme to a tee.Then it gets OLD,especially if your playing with the same people,although it holds childeren's interest better.

The Game is basically the same thing each time(yes it has different Adventures you can use-but they are not that different) so it's not somethimg your going to spend an evening playing over & over.It's a nice Act but it only one Act.After a few plays you have experienced all the Game has to offer even if playing with different opponents, as there is not enough player interaction to create real play differences.

We play a Pulp Campaign using minatures & a WarHammer Quest /Seige of the Citidel Mash up & have added The Adventures to our Missions Generator.So it gets limited play time which helps keep it fresh.That & it can be played in under an hour.

OD

our group loves this game, even if it is rather similar every time. for us it is so short and exciting. it makes for a good break between games, or a good way to start/end the night. even better with beer ;)

I'm still not sure where this lack of replay value is coming from. Sure the game itself is very linear, but the randomness from the dice rolling and treasure points ensures it won't be the same game twice. Of course, with the large luck factor a person could start to feel "cheated" by the game.

Cabello said:

our group loves this game, even if it is rather similar every time. for us it is so short and exciting. it makes for a good break between games, or a good way to start/end the night. even better with beer ;)

Everything is better with BEER demonio.gif

OD

Thanks for the answers.

I'm always on the lookout for games I can play with the family that aren't too long or complicated. The Adventurers and Cadwallon: City of Thieves are on my list currently.

GrimWizard said:

I'm still not sure where this lack of replay value is coming from. Sure the game itself is very linear, but the randomness from the dice rolling and treasure points ensures it won't be the same game twice. Of course, with the large luck factor a person could start to feel "cheated" by the game.

??? The fact that the treasure cards might be placed in different locations, the boulder might move at different speeds, and the lave pit tiles may be in a different pattern really doesn't do much for replay value. There's very little decision making and the game is far more likely to be won by the luckiest player than anything else. This makes it a great game for the family (especially with the eye candy!), but not very good for the gaming group.

I liked "Chac", but right after the first game I planned on using it as a setting for a Descent-adventure.

I think if there are more options for the game/scenario to be different, this could be alot of fun (there is a severe lack of pulp games on the market, it seems), but I'd hate to think that after a few plays this game will get relegated to the back shelf.

As far as pulp boardgames go, I'm keeping my eye on Fortune & Glory, ftw.

I love all things ancient Egypt, so it's great to see games based on it. It's too bad this one may not be the most replayable with the gaming group, but it sound likes it's a great game for the family. My son loves any kind of game, so I may have to look this one up.

i find that its a good game to start out with people who dont game often or regualrly then to bring in other games as it looks good and they feel ok with trying new things